[Ffmpeg-devel-irc] ffmpeg-devel.log.20150802

burek burek021 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 02:05:03 CEST 2015

[00:00:14 CEST] <Compn> the clear statement should be "please stop fighting and trolling each other projects"
[00:00:23 CEST] <kierank> that the project goes on, michael still remains active and we want to proceed with some kind of merge
[00:00:33 CEST] <kierank> it's not a statement to libav though
[00:00:36 CEST] <reynaldo> I'd focus on the fact michael is stepping down, add the thank you note and invite ppl to participate in the discussions tending to find a way around his resignation. I wouldnt even mention libav
[00:00:38 CEST] <kierank> it's a statement to everyone
[00:00:47 CEST] <Compn> i agree with reynaldo
[00:00:50 CEST] <Compn> dont mention libav
[00:00:55 CEST] <Compn> lets fix our own project first 
[00:00:55 CEST] <kierank> libav isn't mentioned
[00:00:56 CEST] <reynaldo> thanks Compn 
[00:01:07 CEST] <reynaldo> kierank: is clearly hinted
[00:01:08 CEST] <kierank> there was a whole hour long thing about that in etherpad
[00:01:22 CEST] <ubitux> well you said you would send a patch
[00:01:25 CEST] <ubitux> :p
[00:01:29 CEST] <reynaldo> "nd to have reconciliation between the forks" for example
[00:01:35 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: yes, sorry
[00:01:48 CEST] <kierank> but this is going to get stuck in a bikeshed otherwise
[00:01:49 CEST] <Compn> kierank : the message has a lot about "last four years" stuff , thats not what we want to talk about
[00:01:54 CEST] <ubitux> heh, told you "the forks" was going to cause troubles...
[00:02:00 CEST] <Compn> :P
[00:02:23 CEST] <Compn> kierank : you mind if i fix it up?
[00:02:25 CEST] <Compn> :)
[00:02:29 CEST] <michaelni> I think reynaldo should write it IMHO
[00:02:29 CEST] <kierank> on etherpad, sure
[00:02:38 CEST] <Compn> whats etherpad url again
[00:02:42 CEST] <Compn> pls paste for me
[00:02:42 CEST] <kierank> like 20 people wrote it michaelni 
[00:02:46 CEST] <kierank> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Cem9NXUdZw
[00:03:01 CEST] <reynaldo> would you mind if I add a candidate full text at the end? as its a destructive change I would like to propose it without wreaking havoc to the current edition
[00:03:09 CEST] <reynaldo> kierank, everyone ^ ?
[00:03:32 CEST] <reynaldo> ah, now it looks a lot better
[00:03:40 CEST] <Compn> how do i save this ?
[00:03:43 CEST] <reynaldo> let me take a full look at it again
[00:03:44 CEST] <kierank> you don't save it
[00:03:48 CEST] <Compn> oh ok :P
[00:03:52 CEST] <Compn> hows it look now ? :)
[00:04:01 CEST] <Compn> just removed some paragraphs, otherwise untouched.
[00:04:05 CEST] <ubitux> btw, "a few hours" is not a long time window, even on michael time scale :P
[00:04:09 CEST] <ubitux> (for a review)
[00:04:34 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : you should be blaming whoever gave kierank ffmpeg-web access :p
[00:04:35 CEST] <Compn> ehe
[00:04:43 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: it's been on irc for 24 hours and on ml for a while as well
[00:04:46 CEST] <Compn> reynaldo : hows etherpad look?
[00:04:52 CEST] <ubitux> i'm not blaming anyone, 'enough drama
[00:04:56 CEST] <Compn> :)
[00:04:59 CEST] <kierank> you're just cutting out things that a lot of peopel wrote
[00:05:11 CEST] <Compn> kierank : unneeded things
[00:05:14 CEST] <Compn> less is more
[00:05:28 CEST] <kierank> I regret doing this now
[00:05:35 CEST] <Compn> just trying to help
[00:05:50 CEST] <ubitux> collaborative editing is really calling for problems imo
[00:05:52 CEST] <Compn> dont get discouraged kierank, it happens to everyone, nobody is ever happy
[00:06:02 CEST] <wm4> whoever wrote "huge loss" please undo it
[00:06:04 CEST] <wm4> mini didn't die
[00:06:07 CEST] <ubitux> it should be one writer for consistency, then review and fixes on it
[00:06:16 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: that's what it was
[00:06:26 CEST] <reynaldo> wm4: is still a huge lost to have your lider resign
[00:06:32 CEST] <ubitux> no, it's a collaborative edit by many people we don't know
[00:06:41 CEST] <wm4> yes but now it sounds weird
[00:06:48 CEST] <wm4> we're not finding a solution "to the loss"
[00:06:50 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: most of it was people we knew
[00:06:55 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: the anonymous are just lurkers
[00:06:56 CEST] <wm4> we want to find a solution to the fork situation
[00:06:59 CEST] <ubitux> there is no visibility
[00:07:08 CEST] <wm4> mini even resigned for _that_ reason, he said it himself
[00:07:14 CEST] <ubitux> just do it like we've done for years
[00:07:22 CEST] <reynaldo> wm4: in understand that being an issue but the anouncement is about our leader resignation
[00:07:36 CEST] <kierank> no the announcement is about also the crazy stuff going around on the internet
[00:07:51 CEST] <reynaldo> we dont need to "anounce" that I think
[00:07:52 CEST] <kierank> and flames on HN
[00:08:00 CEST] <Compn> you should just say "fuck hn and reddit" then :P
[00:08:03 CEST] <kierank> no, it's to show that the online trolls have no relevance and can't set the story
[00:08:05 CEST] <wm4> reynaldo: yes we do, because the internet is speculation dumb shit
[00:08:07 CEST] <kierank> it's ffmpeg's story
[00:08:11 CEST] <wm4> *speculating
[00:08:55 CEST] <Nightrose> hey
[00:08:59 CEST] <Compn> hello lydia
[00:09:21 CEST] <reynaldo> wm4: I do understand your point of view but as stated, I would just anounce mini resigned and add a thank you note and an invitation for the dev comunity to step in and help us find a way around it
[00:09:29 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: can you fix the paragraph <p> thing at least?
[00:09:31 CEST] <reynaldo> sounds both humane and positive
[00:09:33 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: i did
[00:09:42 CEST] <kierank> reynaldo: it's not a message to the dev community
[00:09:45 CEST] <kierank> that's a message on the ML
[00:09:47 CEST] <kierank> ffmpeg-devel
[00:09:49 CEST] <kierank> it's a message to everyone
[00:10:02 CEST] <kierank> saying, ffmpeg is here, it's a sad loss, we want to move forward together
[00:10:12 CEST] <Compn> Nightrose : btw the etherpad is now live at www.ffmpeg.org , so please dont scared away by current etherpad changes.
[00:10:17 CEST] <kierank> michael said his resignation was there in order to achieve that
[00:10:32 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: 23:57 <@ubitux> kierank: you closed a paragraph already closed.
[00:10:46 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: I sent a separate commit, no?
[00:10:52 CEST] <wm4> <Compn> Nightrose : btw the etherpad is now live at www.ffmpeg.org , so please dont scared away by current etherpad changes. <- lol
[00:10:57 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: i was refering to your "fix"
[00:11:01 CEST] <Nightrose> ;-)
[00:11:04 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: ah it's the bloody text editor
[00:11:24 CEST] <kierank> there's a </p> at the end of line
[00:11:25 CEST] <Compn> wm4 : i ate a few words there
[00:11:30 CEST] <wm4> so I got worked up over nothing
[00:11:32 CEST] <Nightrose> just to repeat what i said in the etherpad: i think what's live is the right message to send to the outside world at this point
[00:11:36 CEST] <wm4> business as usual
[00:11:38 CEST] <Compn> wm4 : lol!
[00:11:48 CEST] <Compn> whiney people....
[00:12:04 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: just curious, who are you?
[00:12:20 CEST] <Compn> he means what project you work on, and in what capacity
[00:12:25 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: do you not remember lydia, she tried to moderate all the ffmpeg/libav meetings in the past
[00:12:35 CEST] <ubitux> i never went to any meeting of that sort
[00:12:41 CEST] <reynaldo> yeah, the current version is something I feel is close, just need some minor gramar fixes but the content seems ok
[00:12:50 CEST] <kierank> reynaldo: i think you are totally ruining the message
[00:12:52 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : you didnt miss much...
[00:12:56 CEST] <kierank> and it comes out a lot worse to the rest of the world
[00:13:00 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: Lydia - president of kde eV, product manager for wikidata and random advisor and mediator for videolan
[00:13:03 CEST] <ubitux> Compn: i know, that's why i didn't go
[00:13:11 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: ok, thx
[00:13:21 CEST] <reynaldo> kierank: is really not my intention to ruin anything :/
[00:13:33 CEST] <Compn> kierank , dont you want reynaldo's input ?
[00:13:38 CEST] <Compn> or mine...
[00:13:42 CEST] <Compn> or michaelni's ?
[00:13:42 CEST] <kierank> yes but the etherpad is slash and burn
[00:13:48 CEST] <kierank> michaelni I have heard nothing from
[00:13:59 CEST] <kierank> you are discounting the work of a lot of people
[00:14:05 CEST] <ubitux> (he said he didn't like it)
[00:14:09 CEST] <Compn> [18:02] <michaelni> I think reynaldo should write it IMHO
[00:14:18 CEST] <Compn> 12 mins ago
[00:14:22 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: do you know why specifically?
[00:14:32 CEST] <ubitux> no idea, ask him
[00:14:41 CEST] <michaelni> it felt a bit offensive to say that my resignation gives opertunities, i understand this is techincally true and i agree its true just doesnt feel very friendly worded
[00:14:49 CEST] <reynaldo> the previous text was like an obituary with an added invitation to agree on how to distribute the dead's man wealth
[00:14:52 CEST] <Compn> michaelni: +1
[00:14:55 CEST] <reynaldo> like, bad taste
[00:14:57 CEST] <wm4> michaelni: but you said it YOURSELF
[00:15:03 CEST] <kierank> michaelni: you said exactly this
[00:15:05 CEST] <kierank> that's why we said that
[00:15:06 CEST] <wm4> you're being fucking idiots
[00:15:12 CEST] <wm4> you have a chance for reconcillation
[00:15:14 CEST] <Compn> wm4 / kierank : i think you may have misread his email
[00:15:19 CEST] <wm4> and you're ruining it with your petty politics
[00:15:31 CEST] <ubitux> omg it's getting heated here
[00:15:37 CEST] Action: ubitux goes away
[00:15:42 CEST] <durandal_1707> Indeed
[00:15:52 CEST] <Compn> yeah, why so angry ?
[00:15:57 CEST] <reynaldo> wm4: drop the attitude pal, its uncalled for
[00:16:00 CEST] <kierank> Compn: because we spent a lot of time on this
[00:16:05 CEST] <kierank> and then you are just slashing and burning
[00:16:09 CEST] <wm4> reynaldo: yopur behavior is uncalled for
[00:16:09 CEST] <Nightrose> kierank: want me to help you reword that specific part?
[00:16:14 CEST] <wm4> we're trying to fix shit
[00:16:17 CEST] <wm4> you're ruining it
[00:16:20 CEST] <reynaldo> wm4: im just trying to help
[00:16:34 CEST] <wm4> sorry for being aggressive, but it happened all the time in the last 4 years
[00:16:51 CEST] <Compn> you can blame me for the past 4 years, i dont mind :)
[00:17:02 CEST] <kierank> this is really pissing me off
[00:17:02 CEST] <wm4> I blame you for being noise
[00:17:07 CEST] <kierank> i've spent much of my saturday night doing this
[00:17:10 CEST] <kierank> and you just shit all over it
[00:17:23 CEST] <Nightrose> if we can rework the opportunity part is everyone happy?
[00:17:45 CEST] <reynaldo> michael, Compn and myself are against that part
[00:17:46 CEST] <Compn> i ok'd it in the mail i sent to kierank about it btw
[00:17:49 CEST] <Nightrose> or are there other major things worth being angry about?
[00:18:00 CEST] <reynaldo> (from what I understand)
[00:18:01 CEST] <ubitux> i'd say the important point is that you need to stick to the project policy
[00:18:08 CEST] <ubitux> that is write a patch and send it for review
[00:18:10 CEST] <Compn> he parted ubitux
[00:18:13 CEST] <Compn> ragequit
[00:18:16 CEST] <wm4> michaelni: well, if you don't agree that you're giving an opportunity to fix the fork situation, then you resigned for nothing, and just put the project into trouble by suddenly not maintaining it anymore
[00:18:22 CEST] <ubitux> because the feeling is that it's written by third parties
[00:18:34 CEST] <wm4> which puts your resignation in quite a different light, IMHO
[00:18:38 CEST] <ubitux> so it would be nice if ppl on the mailing list could comment
[00:18:52 CEST] <ubitux> Compn: well, there are still people talking, he didn't write everything afaict
[00:20:15 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: i think onl kierank & wm4 are angry/frustrated because of various opposition after it's done
[00:21:00 CEST] <Nightrose> well i can try to help you find a middle ground but i don't think that's going to work with a full rewrite at this point
[00:21:20 CEST] <michaelni> wm4 i agree that ive given the opertunity and yes i want to. but it somehow feels ot of place in that announcement with that wordig
[00:21:34 CEST] <ubitux> i kind of agree with the fact that the wording is not very nice
[00:21:42 CEST] <ubitux> a "shock" sounds really like an accident
[00:21:53 CEST] <ubitux> i actually have comments to do, but i wasn't expecting to see it pushed like this
[00:22:03 CEST] <ubitux> anyway, a link to the announcement would actually be useful
[00:22:11 CEST] <ubitux> in the meantime i think it makes sense to revert
[00:22:13 CEST] <Compn> Nightrose : imagine if you quit your job and everyone now says there is an opportunity to get it all fixed.
[00:22:20 CEST] <ubitux> and think calmely about rewording
[00:22:21 CEST] <durandal_1707> well it could be announced and not done abruptly
[00:22:47 CEST] <Nightrose> Compn: i don't have a stake in this one way or another. i can try to help you fix this or go to bed ;-)
[00:22:51 CEST] <wm4> michaelni: well, after all, the reconcillation part doesn't take much space in the announcement
[00:22:59 CEST] <Compn> did not answer question :P
[00:23:16 CEST] <Compn> i guess i missed the "how would you feel about it?"
[00:23:24 CEST] <wm4> the first paragraph is about saying thanks to michael etc.
[00:23:27 CEST] <Nightrose> well it really depends on the situation and how i personally percive it
[00:23:30 CEST] <wm4> the second is about reconcillation
[00:23:51 CEST] <wm4> the third is about talking on vdd, which also can includes ffmpeg internal issues
[00:24:15 CEST] <ubitux> i just reverted
[00:24:18 CEST] <Compn> wm4 : i really want to see you at vdd in one of these meetings.
[00:24:21 CEST] <ubitux> we can now do it properly
[00:24:42 CEST] <Compn> 100 devs from other projects and 4-5 people from ffmpeg and 4-5 people from libav, with everyone telling us what to do :)
[00:24:51 CEST] <wm4> sigh
[00:24:53 CEST] <wm4> fuck everything
[00:25:30 CEST] <Compn> Nightrose : there is no helping us, thanks anyhow
[00:25:41 CEST] <reynaldo> the rage quits dont signal a comming reconciliation tbh
[00:25:42 CEST] <Nightrose> i don't think that's true
[00:26:00 CEST] <Compn> both of them are mostly neutral
[00:26:07 CEST] <ubitux> i was willing to go to sleep but i guess i'm going to try rewording and shit and send a patch
[00:26:14 CEST] <reynaldo> I need to go now but will try to get online latter if ppl want to continue working on the text
[00:26:14 CEST] <ubitux> can anyone summarizes the complains?
[00:26:36 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : i dunno , my opinion was not well liked, at all.
[00:26:47 CEST] <reynaldo> I like your opinion Compn 
[00:26:51 CEST] <Compn> thanks reynaldo
[00:26:51 CEST] <ubitux> yes, and i understand why
[00:26:53 CEST] <reynaldo> I feel pretty much the same way
[00:27:04 CEST] <durandal_1707> people leave than come back and start complaining
[00:27:23 CEST] <reynaldo> anouncement on mini resignation, thank you note and invitation to discuss matters in the coming days
[00:27:27 CEST] <reynaldo> thats my take
[00:27:36 CEST] <reynaldo> Compn: would you agree ^ ?
[00:28:02 CEST] <Compn> sure
[00:28:09 CEST] <durandal_1707> No reconciliation?
[00:28:12 CEST] <Compn> reynaldo : what about note to stop fighting about which project is better ?
[00:28:17 CEST] <reynaldo> Cool. OK, need to leave now, tty ppl latter o/
[00:28:22 CEST] <Compn> directed specifically at hn and reddit ?
[00:28:23 CEST] <ubitux> going to rewrite it...
[00:28:41 CEST] <ubitux> give me half an hour or so and i'll send a proper patch
[00:28:47 CEST] <reynaldo> Compn: it'd only feed them I think
[00:28:55 CEST] <reynaldo> anyhow, really need to leave now
[00:28:56 CEST] <reynaldo> o/
[00:28:58 CEST] <Compn> cya
[00:29:57 CEST] <iive> have fun
[00:30:14 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : better make a note to thank everyone who worked on the wording...
[00:30:21 CEST] <ubitux> no
[00:30:31 CEST] <Compn> lol :)
[00:30:43 CEST] <Compn> i just meant in the patch mail 
[00:30:45 CEST] <Compn> but ok haha
[00:33:11 CEST] <Compn> j-b : pick leader :P
[00:33:57 CEST] <ubitux> so
[00:34:03 CEST] <ubitux> 3 information to cover, right?
[00:34:31 CEST] <ubitux> michael leadership, project continuation, av/ff reconciliation attempt + vdd, right?
[00:35:03 CEST] <Compn> i have no idea, ask Nightrose and check up kierank's original mail (or whoever wrote that we "needed" an announcement
[00:35:23 CEST] <ubitux> should be done pretty soon anyway
[00:35:33 CEST] <Nightrose> that was pretty much what the previous one said. if we can fix the opportunity part it should be good then?
[00:35:44 CEST] <ubitux> it was bad wording tbh
[00:35:56 CEST] <ubitux> it wasn't clear enough either imo
[00:36:06 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, iam really happy with anything didnt thing people would ragequit
[00:36:09 CEST] <durandal_1707> so just everything without shocking part?
[00:36:12 CEST] <Nightrose> from a public relations pov it was very good
[00:36:23 CEST] <ubitux> anyway, i'll send a message written by a semi autistic person with clear wording
[00:36:29 CEST] <ubitux> hopefully
[00:36:41 CEST] <Nightrose> michaelni: ok :)
[00:37:26 CEST] <Nightrose> general tip: let people write this who have some experience with public relations
[00:38:10 CEST] <michaelni> no objections from me
[00:40:30 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, if you want to write it i dont mind, i am really just resigning and just felt that one phrase a bit offensive but maybe i should have stayed silent
[00:41:12 CEST] <Nightrose> michaelni: no if this bugs you it should be fixed. and i have no desire to write it but i am here to help and advice if you want me to
[00:41:34 CEST] <Compn> michaelni : if you ever do come back, in my opinion, you should just pick a different nickname so no one knows its you :P
[00:41:44 CEST] <Compn> thats what my goal is to be, anonymous so no one can hate me forever
[00:42:05 CEST] <ubitux> i'll send a patch in 5-10 min
[00:42:25 CEST] <Compn> i'll probably kill my own nickname next year and remove all of my emails and start fresh
[00:42:29 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, sure i want your advice but iam not writing this text at all
[00:43:08 CEST] <Nightrose> ok. let's see what ubitux comes up with then.
[00:43:14 CEST] <Nightrose> i can stay up for another 15 mins
[00:43:19 CEST] <michaelni> ok
[00:44:19 CEST] <durandal_1707> Compn: you and your clones....
[00:44:19 CEST] Action: Compn afk
[00:44:42 CEST] <Compn> durandal_1707 : you'll probably be able to spot me by my punctuation
[00:48:24 CEST] <ubitux> patch on the ml
[00:48:35 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose, michaelni 
[00:48:51 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: link? sorry - not subscribed to list
[00:49:03 CEST] <ubitux> basically 3 new paragraphs, kept 2
[00:49:06 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-August/176579.html
[00:49:20 CEST] <Nightrose> thx
[00:49:49 CEST] <Nightrose> doing an outstanding work  <- no an
[00:50:19 CEST] <ubitux> fixed locally
[00:50:21 CEST] <Nightrose> project is now facing another crisis in its history <- you really don't want to phrase it like that in public communication
[00:50:34 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, +1
[00:50:38 CEST] <ubitux> ok
[00:50:45 CEST] <ubitux> suggestion?
[00:50:59 CEST] <Nightrose> i think the wording in the previous version was good there
[00:51:42 CEST] <michaelni> "To illustrate this, we are in the process of a reconciliation with the Libav project." <-- you want that but if that will happen/succed is not kown
[00:51:50 CEST] <Nightrose> Nevertheless, the community will continue  to contribute to the project and will try to satisfy as much as possible the expectations of everyone. <- sounds very fatalistic. i think you want to send a message of hope and progress
[00:52:00 CEST] <ubitux> michaelni: that's what the next paragraph says
[00:52:27 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: if you were refering to "We hope that in the future he will be able to continue to contribute to the project." i don't call this hope
[00:52:42 CEST] <iive> also, by community you mean ffmpeg team, don't you?
[00:52:43 CEST] <ubitux> it feels like a desperate "plz michael come back save us"
[00:53:24 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: that was in the previous version? hmm no that's not good either
[00:53:31 CEST] <ubitux> yes
[00:53:39 CEST] <ubitux> "the FFmpeg project will be managed by the active contributors, until we can find a more permanent solution."  and this is like "active contributors" are not good enough for the long term
[00:53:46 CEST] <michaelni> maybe just fixing that one phrase in the previous version is easier ?
[00:53:54 CEST] <Nightrose> "We don't really know yet if this is going to result in anything, but in the  meantime we urge our common users to avoid making any loud statements and assumption regarding both sides. <- you don't want to communicate uncertainty like this
[00:54:04 CEST] <Nightrose> michaelni: i believe it is
[00:54:41 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: well, that's the truth
[00:54:41 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : you fool! it will never be good enough :P
[00:54:51 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: we have absolutely no clue
[00:54:59 CEST] <iive> Compn: we don't need another rage quit!
[00:55:07 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: that's fine but that's not what you want to shout to the world
[00:55:24 CEST] <Compn> iive : sorry :P
[00:55:29 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, can you just write some text or resurrect the last good one with any correction you feel should be in it ?
[00:55:45 CEST] <ubitux> yeah, feel free to just do that
[00:55:53 CEST] <Nightrose> michaelni: sure. can someone get me the text kiran commited?
[00:55:53 CEST] <durandal_1707> less is more
[00:55:55 CEST] <ubitux> but honestly the first paragraph was very bad
[00:56:01 CEST] <Compn> durandal_1707 : shhhhhh
[00:56:10 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: yes just am oment
[00:56:14 CEST] <Nightrose> thx
[00:57:24 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: http://b.pkh.me/orig-msg not sure if it's a form you will like
[00:57:35 CEST] <ubitux> i can provide the patch or something
[00:57:47 CEST] <Nightrose> that works
[00:57:53 CEST] <Nightrose> give me two mins
[01:02:42 CEST] <ubitux> take your time
[01:02:54 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: michaelni: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/Cem9NXUdZw <- fixed some things. can you check?
[01:03:51 CEST] <ubitux> i'm nitpicking, but "the FFmpeg project will be managed by the active contributors, until we can find a more permanent solution." feels like contributors are not enough to handle the project :p
[01:04:07 CEST] <Nightrose> ok
[01:04:21 CEST] <Nightrose> the intention was to say that this is not a viable permanent solution
[01:04:24 CEST] <ubitux> no other comment
[01:04:27 CEST] <ubitux> well
[01:04:32 CEST] Action: Nightrose thinkshow to make that clearer
[01:04:34 CEST] <ubitux> who else than developers?
[01:04:36 CEST] <ubitux> :D
[01:04:49 CEST] <ubitux> i mean, is this supposed to say that a big corp needs to handle it or something?
[01:04:59 CEST] <Nightrose> no but that a leader is needed i think
[01:05:07 CEST] <ubitux> we are not sure about that
[01:05:08 CEST] <Nightrose> or some other form of covernance
[01:05:14 CEST] <Nightrose> ok
[01:05:17 CEST] <ubitux> and you might not want to say that we are looking for a leader
[01:05:22 CEST] <Nightrose> right
[01:05:24 CEST] <ubitux> that's one of the "requests" from libav
[01:05:32 CEST] <Nightrose> ok
[01:06:04 CEST] <Nightrose> how about making it "in the meantime the ffmpeg project will be managed by the active contributors"
[01:06:09 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, your text sounds fine to me, i wont nitpick
[01:06:10 CEST] <ubitux> otherwise no other comment; when it's done, please give me a name <mail> to put in sign off and send the patch
[01:06:25 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: yeah sure, fine
[01:06:28 CEST] <Nightrose> michaelni: ok cool
[01:06:32 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: ok will change
[01:06:38 CEST] <michaelni> Nightrose, i meant the whole text in case it wasnt clear
[01:06:45 CEST] <ubitux> also, maybe not "will", present tense is fine
[01:06:52 CEST] <Nightrose> and Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org>
[01:06:54 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: k
[01:06:57 CEST] <ubitux> ok
[01:07:18 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: done
[01:10:02 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-August/176583.html
[01:10:06 CEST] <ubitux> thanks
[01:10:49 CEST] <Nightrose> \o/
[01:11:02 CEST] <ubitux> not pushed yet, waiting for a few comments
[01:11:06 CEST] <Nightrose> you can do this folks ;-)
[01:11:09 CEST] <Nightrose> ok
[01:11:11 CEST] <ubitux> yeah sure
[01:11:40 CEST] <iive> maybe add "the FFmpeg project will continue to be managed by..."
[01:12:08 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: can you stop acting on a whim like this? :p
[01:12:19 CEST] <kierank> like what?
[01:12:24 CEST] <ubitux> like the mail you just sent
[01:12:35 CEST] <kierank> well it's a patch with my name on it with code I didn't write
[01:12:39 CEST] <kierank> well text I didn't write
[01:12:42 CEST] <kierank> the new one is better
[01:12:49 CEST] <ubitux> i didn't know the author
[01:13:10 CEST] <ubitux> so i took the one who commited originally and kept 2 paragraph of it
[01:13:20 CEST] <ubitux> i'm aware my attempt was not pretty but i explained myself
[01:13:32 CEST] <kierank> ok
[01:13:34 CEST] <ubitux> there is no need to be in a hurry to send flamebait like you just did
[01:13:37 CEST] <ubitux> anyway, welcome back
[01:13:46 CEST] <kierank> sorry I am in a bad mood after spending much of my evening on this
[01:13:54 CEST] <kierank> and having a belief that things could get better
[01:14:36 CEST] <durandal_1707> Nightrose: tnx
[01:14:41 CEST] <ubitux> it always feel like a nuclear war starts everytime there is a few exchanges, that's really crazy
[01:14:45 CEST] <Nightrose> no problem
[01:14:52 CEST] <mark4o> s/-/—/
[01:14:56 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: and that's a social problem
[01:14:58 CEST] <kierank> not a technical one
[01:15:10 CEST] <kierank> but I have struggled (and given up) for years to explain that
[01:15:25 CEST] <ubitux> except there was absolutely no need to overreact here
[01:15:53 CEST] <kierank> after 10-15 people by email, irc, etherpad saying the message was fine, 3 people just ripping it apart
[01:15:54 CEST] <ubitux> we need to learn to keep calm, because this is only the beginning of the incoming shitstorm
[01:15:58 CEST] <kierank> after we all spent a long time on it
[01:16:44 CEST] <ubitux> yeah well, i understand the frustration, but that's not how social relationships work, you know that better than me
[01:17:03 CEST] <kierank> yeah in an ideal world those three people would not rip it apart
[01:17:08 CEST] <kierank> but respect the fact a lot of people worked on it
[01:17:16 CEST] <kierank> and realise that things are bigger than their own views
[01:17:38 CEST] <ubitux> that's why maybe you needed to take into account the opinion of 3 more ppl
[01:18:01 CEST] <ubitux> because these 3 more ppl might have been as much concerned as the 15 others
[01:18:08 CEST] <kierank> and those 3 need to understand the views of others
[01:18:10 CEST] <ubitux> anyway, whatever, story almost done
[01:18:18 CEST] <ubitux> and that's why it was in a discussion
[01:18:40 CEST] <ubitux> and it was slightly stressful because it was pushed in a hurry
[01:18:47 CEST] <kierank> it wasn't pushed in a hurry
[01:18:55 CEST] <mark4o> It might be good to update the "FFmpeg needs a new host" news item to say that new hosts have been found; otherwise two bad news in a row makes it look like the project is falling apart
[01:18:57 CEST] <ubitux> 24h is too short
[01:19:08 CEST] <ubitux> especially for that kind of stuff
[01:19:10 CEST] <kierank> it's been on irc for ages and I asked on etherpad many times
[01:19:11 CEST] <kierank> LOOOL
[01:19:25 CEST] <kierank> the irony
[01:19:33 CEST] <kierank> when ffmpeg patches appear out of nowhere
[01:19:47 CEST] <ubitux> well maybe you don't want to make the same mistake you blamed for years
[01:21:10 CEST] <kierank> this is clearly a time sensitive issue
[01:21:19 CEST] <kierank> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming
[01:21:23 CEST] <kierank> look what's at the top
[01:21:27 CEST] <kierank> reddit misinformation
[01:21:33 CEST] <ubitux> it won't stop
[01:21:39 CEST] <kierank> yesterday was HN
[01:21:43 CEST] <kierank> it'll stop when there's a statement
[01:21:47 CEST] <kierank> that's why it had to be made
[01:22:01 CEST] <Nightrose> it wont stop but it gets worse if you're not ahead of it and get out with your message/version of the story
[01:22:42 CEST] <ubitux> patch applied
[01:23:11 CEST] <kierank> might have some minor grammar changes
[01:23:26 CEST] <ubitux> too late, feel free to amend directly
[01:23:34 CEST] <ubitux> well, not amend
[01:24:40 CEST] <ubitux> erm
[01:25:01 CEST] <ubitux> yeah i asked for a change of tense because it is the case presentely
[01:25:10 CEST] <ubitux> but well, nitpick wahtever
[01:25:13 CEST] <kierank> the english is wrong
[01:25:16 CEST] <kierank> in the old one
[01:26:25 CEST] <Compn> kierank : thanks for working on it
[01:26:51 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: yeah
[01:27:41 CEST] <Nightrose> good night, folks
[01:27:47 CEST] <kierank> night
[01:28:10 CEST] <michaelni> night
[01:28:52 CEST] <kierank> reynaldo: can you tweet the new version
[01:29:31 CEST] <jamrial> i agree with mark4o, btw. if not a new entry the existing news entry could use an "update: We got some offers, thanks" or such
[01:30:25 CEST] <michaelni> jamrial, +1
[01:30:27 CEST] <rcombs> https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2015/08/01/cla/ fuck yes
[01:30:48 CEST] <mark4o> Yeah people from outside will see the top two news items are loss of host and loss of project leader, and think the project is in its death throes.  Someone knowledgeable about the new hosts should update that with some positive news.
[01:31:35 CEST] <kierank> rcombs: cla?
[01:31:48 CEST] <rcombs> kierank: Contributor License Agreement
[01:31:50 CEST] <Plorkyeran> wow, apache 2 openssl would be amazing
[01:31:51 CEST] <kierank> rcombs: how the hell can they make it apache2
[01:31:56 CEST] <kierank> there's so many people 
[01:32:47 CEST] <michaelni> jamrial, do you want to write a update for the server or should i ?
[01:32:49 CEST] <Plorkyeran> it's gotta be months or years of work
[01:32:50 CEST] <wm4> isn't apache 2 LGPL incompatible
[01:33:12 CEST] <Plorkyeran> it's 3+ compatible only
[01:33:19 CEST] <wm4> also lol forced CLA
[01:33:52 CEST] <Compn> it makes sense now
[01:33:57 CEST] <Compn> that we need an announcement
[01:33:59 CEST] <Plorkyeran> the previous post is good news too
[01:34:04 CEST] <Compn> because the rumors at internet sites are making our projects look bad
[01:34:10 CEST] <Compn> which in turn makes us have less contributors
[01:34:12 CEST] <Compn> i get it now
[01:34:17 CEST] <Plorkyeran> dropping BeOS, NeXT, Tandem, Cray, Win16...
[01:34:23 CEST] <Compn> you guys should explain it to the dum dums like me :P
[01:34:38 CEST] <kierank> Compn: loool
[01:34:57 CEST] <Compn> oh fuck yes on openssl relicensing
[01:35:08 CEST] <Compn> thanks rcombs
[01:35:15 CEST] <jamrial> michaelni: if you can do it then that'd be best. you know more about how many offers we got and their nature
[01:35:15 CEST] <kierank> Compn: I thought you understood that...
[01:35:25 CEST] <wm4> good thing Compn isn't in charge of openssl
[01:35:43 CEST] <rcombs> Apache is an interesting choice, but at this point anything's better than what they have now
[01:35:50 CEST] Action: BBB gives ubitux and kierank a big hug
[01:35:57 CEST] <BBB> ubitux: btw I said it was fine, so blame me also then
[01:36:00 CEST] <michaelni> jamrial, my information is less than what i would prefer to write news
[01:36:16 CEST] <michaelni> but ill try and post a patch
[01:36:38 CEST] <jamrial> as i said a simple "update" line at the end of the existing news item is enough
[01:36:50 CEST] <BBB> mark4o has a good point btw, we need to add an update to the previous news item and say the issue is resolved
[01:36:53 CEST] <ubitux> BBB: no worry :p
[01:36:55 CEST] <BBB> (at least temporarily)
[01:36:59 CEST] <Plorkyeran> the update should be at the beginning
[01:37:01 CEST] <Plorkyeran> not the end
[01:37:02 CEST] <BBB> we need to mingle bad news with good news
[01:37:06 CEST] <BBB> yes
[01:37:14 CEST] <jamrial> Plorkyeran: true, my bad
[01:37:42 CEST] <Compn> kierank : i've been at a loud electronic music festival for most of the day
[01:37:44 CEST] <ubitux> BBB: i wasn't trying to blame anyone, but not reverting wouldn't have help the situation (and yeah i know my wording was shit but the purpose wasn't exactly to get my version in)
[01:37:59 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: can you post the new thing to hacker news please
[01:38:07 CEST] <kierank> i have anti-procrast on
[01:38:14 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: okay
[01:38:18 CEST] <ubitux> is it a good time?
[01:38:25 CEST] <kierank> probably
[01:38:26 CEST] <Compn> also tell hackernews to fuck off and stop making hate filled posts to both projects while we work on things
[01:38:32 CEST] <Compn> :P
[01:38:43 CEST] <kierank> lwn as well needs to be informed
[01:39:22 CEST] <ubitux> kierank: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9989147
[01:40:47 CEST] <michaelni> server update mail sent
[01:41:14 CEST] <michaelni> Compn, also i think mplayerhq page needs similar update
[01:41:30 CEST] <michaelni> not sure if it was on other pages too
[01:45:43 CEST] <iive> and people don't forget the most important part:
[01:45:47 CEST] <iive> have fun.
[01:45:50 CEST] <iive> see ya
[01:45:58 CEST] <Compn> michaelni : ok
[01:46:30 CEST] <Compn> hmmm where did i put mplayer web repo
[01:49:11 CEST] <Compn> michaelni : done
[01:49:32 CEST] <Compn> yes, i lazy :P
[01:50:44 CEST] <Compn> kierank , wm4 , Nightrose , michaelni , ubitux , reynaldo : btw the new language on ffmpeg.org looks wayyyy better. thanks!
[01:51:18 CEST] <Compn> and whoever else i missed
[01:51:22 CEST] <Compn> everyone who worked on etherpad
[01:54:27 CEST] <Compn> wm4 / kierank: sorry if my changes were too drastic
[01:54:44 CEST] <Compn> i didnt mean to upset anyone
[01:54:52 CEST] <kierank> ok
[02:01:30 CEST] <Compn> hmm
[02:01:43 CEST] <Compn> if baptiste adds a binary codec loader to ffmbc , i'd switch to his project...
[02:01:48 CEST] <Compn> :)
[02:02:39 CEST] <kierank> what can't you play?
[02:04:51 CEST] <Compn> i'm on a crusade to play vivo files and .... movie codec (mvi2 fourcc)
[02:05:40 CEST] <Compn> there seems to be a lack of reverse engineer developers at the moment
[02:11:32 CEST] <kierank> Compn: send the mvi2 author an email
[02:12:29 CEST] <kierank> https://www.linkedin.com/pub/christian-huygen/69/854/7
[02:15:47 CEST] <Compn> kierank : i tried and failed before to send messages over linkedin. anyway i can beg you to ask for me? just a simple "i'm an ffmpeg developer and i want to get mvi2 support in ffmpeg. please help" type thing
[02:16:06 CEST] <kierank> how is that guy making firefox use ffmpeg
[02:17:24 CEST] <Compn> on youtube :D
[02:17:28 CEST] <Compn> i mean good question
[02:17:37 CEST] <Compn> because i hate flash player
[02:18:24 CEST] <Compn> gstreamer it looks like
[02:18:42 CEST] <BtbN> firefox is the worst browser if you hate flash though
[02:18:47 CEST] <Compn> hoho ... /usr/src/debug/media-plugins/gst-plugins-libav-1.4.5-r1/gst-libav-1.4.5/ext/libav/gstavauddec.c:475
[02:19:29 CEST] <kierank> lol
[02:19:34 CEST] <Compn> BtbN : which is why i use old outdated version of opera
[02:19:54 CEST] <BtbN> That's propably even worse in terms of html5 video support
[02:20:40 CEST] <Compn> it plays youtube html5, thats about it though
[02:20:56 CEST] <BtbN> It most likely doesn't support MSE, so it only plays low-quality videos.
[02:21:06 CEST] <Compn> otherwise i just have a javascript button that sends the youtube url to vlc ...
[03:17:10 CEST] <colink> Hey everyone!! I see that you guys are looking for a server to keep this project online and I am ready to host and administer the ffmpeg project for free. Please email me at colin.b.kelly at gmail.com
[03:17:18 CEST] <colink> ;)
[03:21:51 CEST] <colink> hey mat ;)
[03:25:42 CEST] <jamrial> colink: we already got several offers and i think one or two were chosen, but thanks anyway :)
[03:26:52 CEST] <colink> oh :'(
[03:27:29 CEST] <colink> I looking to help this project as I really do want to see ffmpeg thrive
[03:28:26 CEST] <colink> to be honest... I hate libav with a passion
[03:28:39 CEST] <razzledazzle> hello there, I have questions regarding audio mixing, not directly related to ffmpeg
[03:29:01 CEST] <colink> you mean dj-ing
[03:29:52 CEST] <razzledazzle> from what I've read, two audio samples can be mixed by just adding them and taking their average, the resulting sample would be mixed, ignoring clipping and other matters, should there be change in the pitch of the output audio?
[03:30:02 CEST] <razzledazzle> haha not dj-ing
[03:30:23 CEST] <colink> lol
[03:30:38 CEST] <relaxed> read the topic
[03:31:38 CEST] <colink> Jamrial, are you an admin of the ffmpeg project?
[03:32:12 CEST] <razzledazzle> just hunting for insights
[03:32:16 CEST] <Compn> colink : we are happy to have you contribute in any way you want :)
[03:32:39 CEST] <BtbN> letting "random" people administer servers is unlikely to happen though
[03:32:45 CEST] <Compn> quite.
[03:33:04 CEST] <Compn> although there are a lot of people who want to see ffmpeg and libav work together again, so maybe dont hate so much , colink 
[03:33:56 CEST] <colink> lol BtbN, I understand your logic though I can honestly give the full root access of a dedi without haveing access to it
[03:34:16 CEST] <colink> unlimited bandwidth also
[03:34:47 CEST] <BtbN> i'm not sure what the current status on the server thing is, but i believe it's resolved and hosts have been chosen
[03:34:56 CEST] <Compn> we have two nice hosts now
[03:34:59 CEST] <Compn> all lined up
[03:35:02 CEST] <Compn> well 3 if you count vlc
[03:35:14 CEST] <Compn> 3, we have 3 hosts lined up, the number of servers is 3.
[03:35:27 CEST] <BtbN> next step is propably moving stuff to some kind of conatiners, so future migrations become easier
[03:35:35 CEST] <colink> cool I understand
[03:35:42 CEST] <Compn> virtualized or qemu machines, yes
[03:36:23 CEST] <colink> So the 3 hosts are VPS'? lol
[03:36:33 CEST] <BtbN> No, the 2 hosts are strong dedicated servers
[03:36:40 CEST] <Compn> vlc is the virtual 
[03:36:53 CEST] <colink> okok got ya
[03:37:02 CEST] <BtbN> but the services on them are intended to be moved to (seperated) virtual machines, so it becomes easier to move them around
[03:37:16 CEST] <Compn> protect against infiltrations and zero day exploits
[03:37:17 CEST] <Compn> too
[03:37:37 CEST] <BtbN> Well, do VMs realy help against that?
[03:37:37 CEST] <colink> well openstack would be my technology of choice obviously
[03:37:38 CEST] <colink> with kvm on top of that
[03:37:48 CEST] <Compn> bsd?
[03:38:38 CEST] <Compn> BtbN : lets say you have a zero day against a web server, but the web server is on a different vm than the git server, so now you cant get root on the git server by exploiting the webserver 
[03:39:02 CEST] <BtbN> yes, on that level, of course
[03:39:57 CEST] <colink> alright calm down people, why the hell would someone use a 0day hack on the ffmpeg  repo? has that happened in the past?
[03:40:06 CEST] <Compn> anyways 
[03:40:10 CEST] <Compn> colink : are you a programmer ?
[03:40:13 CEST] <BtbN> Have you ever looked at webserver logs on a public webserver?
[03:40:18 CEST] <BtbN> or ssh login logs?
[03:40:23 CEST] <BtbN> On any server with a public ip?
[03:40:24 CEST] <Compn> gigabytes of logs of ssh login attempts
[03:40:37 CEST] <colink> probably libav lol
[03:41:18 CEST] <colink> Yup! but wouldnt be considered a programmer to you C++ and C programmers lol
[03:41:40 CEST] <colink> Im a PHP programmer working with mvc and sh*t
[03:42:11 CEST] <BtbN> At work we have a bunch of VMWare ESXi hosts with a vCenter. It's a very good solution imo, but not viable for ffmpeg.
[03:42:25 CEST] <colink> Compn you are are that SSH brute force is not considered as an 0day right?
[03:42:56 CEST] <Compn> colink : ah no problem, i'm not a programmer, nor even a php scripter! 
[03:42:58 CEST] <colink> you should drop VMware and go for an openstack infrastructure
[03:43:06 CEST] <BtbN> There are armys of bots out there that jump on every exploit that comes up and try use it on everything they can find.
[03:43:10 CEST] <Compn> was just seeing if you wanted to fix bugs
[03:43:28 CEST] <colink> lol ok
[03:44:18 CEST] <BtbN> If there realy is a serious remote code exec bug in a primary server software, i wouldn't even bother checking if someone got in. I would just restore the machine from a backup.
[03:45:14 CEST] <colink> Oh well if you are talking about bugs on the website I will definitely be able to contribute. However, if you are talking abbout ffmpeg bugz.. your gonna have to give me a couple of years before I start tackling such bugz
[03:48:42 CEST] <cone-435> ffmpeg 03Vesselin Bontchev 07master:336822edf4fc: avformat/mov: fix regression in processing .aax files
[03:49:07 CEST] <Compn> no problem
[03:49:16 CEST] <Compn> i'm just tired today and cant think up ideas right now
[03:58:57 CEST] <Compn> i like that bug
[03:59:04 CEST] <Compn> the youtube ffmpeg firefox one
[03:59:16 CEST] <Compn> maybe we should write something nicer on the patch guidelines page
[03:59:26 CEST] <Compn> it sounds like its scaring contributors
[03:59:36 CEST] <Compn> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4749
[03:59:48 CEST] <Compn> "Patches should be submitted to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list and not this bug tracker."
[03:59:49 CEST] <Compn>  but the rules there seem to be kinda strict https://ffmpeg.org/contact.html#MailingLists
[03:59:49 CEST] <Compn>  I'll just drop the patches here for now, as they are.
[03:59:59 CEST] <Compn> ^^ we should fix that
[04:00:14 CEST] <Compn> somehow.
[04:00:36 CEST] <kierank> but that youtube firefox one is for libav
[04:01:02 CEST] <BtbN> It's for gst-libav which is using ffmpeg
[04:01:04 CEST] <Compn> its possible he is compiling gst-libav with ffmpeg ?
[04:01:06 CEST] <kierank> yes
[04:01:10 CEST] <kierank> exactly
[04:01:26 CEST] <BtbN> And gst using the api wrong in various ways isn't a new problem
[04:01:31 CEST] <Compn> anyways i was talking about the patch submission guidelines
[04:01:51 CEST] <Compn> how they maybe scaring people from posting on the ml, especially posting patches
[04:02:29 CEST] <Compn> its not just this guys comment, i should say, i've seen multiple people over the years who would rather dump a patch o n a pastebin and run then register on a ml
[04:02:46 CEST] <Compn> so we should have a patch dump too. if possible
[04:02:52 CEST] <Compn> non registration patch dump
[04:03:16 CEST] <Compn> with disclaimer that all non-copyrighted code will be accepted as lgpl v2 or later...
[04:04:21 CEST] <kierank> could make an ffmpeg pastebin
[04:06:35 CEST] <cone-435> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:f080a01fd301: avcodec/hevc_mp4toannexb_bsf: Remove ;;
[04:06:56 CEST] <rcombs> "non-copyrighted code"?
[04:07:08 CEST] <mark4o> there shouldn't be a need for a pastebin, people just want to upload the patch to trac
[04:07:14 CEST] <mark4o> the problem is how to review it
[04:07:32 CEST] <BtbN> Someone would have to adopt the patch and send it through the usual review process
[04:08:49 CEST] <Compn> oops i just approved a mail for paid hosting
[04:08:57 CEST] <Compn> oh well.
[06:24:10 CEST] <reynaldo> kierank: done
[06:24:19 CEST] <reynaldo> just got back. Sorry for the delay
[06:25:08 CEST] <reynaldo> kierank: do you still want to have access to the twitter account?
[10:52:03 CEST] <michaelni> philipl, BtbN, https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/pull/142
[10:52:46 CEST] <nevcairiel> is that a new PR with the same changes we had before?
[10:53:05 CEST] <nevcairiel> hm apparently he didnt clean up before doing a new change
[10:54:21 CEST] <nevcairiel> I sure hope i dont make anything blow up now
[10:54:26 CEST] Action: nevcairiel pushes a merge
[10:54:51 CEST] <nevcairiel> hm, it didnt let me
[10:55:00 CEST] <nevcairiel> and I did put the Merged-By things in there :(
[10:59:47 CEST] <nevcairiel> michaelni: are you sure there are no special permissions, putting the Merged-By: into the body doesnt seem to make the hook happy
[11:01:20 CEST] <michaelni> nevcairiel, "Merged-by:" it might be case sensitive
[11:01:38 CEST] <nevcairiel> hm how annoying
[11:01:45 CEST] <nevcairiel> how do i reward 6 merge commits
[11:01:48 CEST] <nevcairiel> reword*
[11:02:31 CEST] Action: michaelni is not aware of a nice way to do that
[11:04:11 CEST] <michaelni> that is nicest i know of the top of my head is reset --hard HEAD^^... and then redo with previous diffs and commit messages
[11:04:53 CEST] <nevcairiel> i think filter-branch actually worked using a simple sed replace script
[11:05:05 CEST] <nevcairiel> just need to verify it didnt screw anything up
[11:05:13 CEST] <michaelni> yes that could work too
[11:06:50 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07cf1ccfffa4b72d6dc39ea8a04bc391a4ff268fb8:HEAD: avcodec/hevc_mp4toannexb_bsf: Remove ;;
[11:06:54 CEST] <nevcairiel> ok that failed
[11:07:02 CEST] <nevcairiel> stupid git
[11:07:28 CEST] <nevcairiel> .. and i cant delete the broken branch :(
[11:07:53 CEST] <michaelni> nevcairiel, ALWAYS do a --dry-run first ALWAYS
[11:08:00 CEST] <nevcairiel> i did
[11:08:02 CEST] <nevcairiel> it looked fine
[11:09:24 CEST] <michaelni> for deleting the branch you will need j-b or thresh or some other vlc admin
[11:15:15 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Anton Khirnov 07master:90e648c508fa: fate/mp3: use the f32le format as output
[11:15:16 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:cf1ccfffa4b7: Merge commit '90e648c508fa6b97587ce62699a1449123f7d285'
[11:15:20 CEST] <nevcairiel> that looks better
[11:17:59 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Alexandra Hájková 07master:cd4d9df22738: asfdec: free AVDictionaries properly when closing the demuxer
[11:18:00 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03James Almer 07master:7a7df34c91e1: blowfish: add av_blowfish_alloc()
[11:18:01 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03James Almer 07master:ae365453c370: rc4: add av_rc4_alloc()
[11:18:02 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03James Almer 07master:b469832de993: rc4: extend av_rc4_init() doxy
[11:18:03 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03James Almer 07master:5d8bea3bb235: xtea: add av_xtea_alloc()
[11:18:04 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03James Almer 07master:d9e8b47e3144: des: add av_des_alloc()
[11:18:05 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03James Almer 07master:3e853ff7acc5: des: extend av_des_init() doxy
[11:18:06 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Alexandra Hájková 07master:78491fe8cfed: asfdec: do not export empty metadata
[11:18:07 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Alexandra Hájková 07master:33dc1913ab7a: asfdec: remove improper assignement that caused wrong timestamps
[11:18:08 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03David Holm 07master:80ea66112817: avcodec: h264: Extract decoder methods
[11:18:09 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:988ddfea5e32: Merge commit 'cd4d9df22738e6f147521ccb72c7930db6050914'
[11:18:10 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:9ed59f16e005: Merge commit '7a7df34c91e16ea8936f59524145a2cdd6b790f9'
[11:18:11 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:a130ec9540b4: Merge commit 'ae365453c370c85f278bff7fbf9e20d9d335cb2a'
[11:18:12 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:52566efd5cf8: Merge commit 'b469832de993dabbfe037bef59c68e90e82ebca5'
[11:18:13 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:9ca19971bcdd: Merge commit '5d8bea3bb2357bb304f8f771a4107039037c5549'
[11:18:14 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:3cf08e96fc85: Merge commit 'd9e8b47e3144262d6bc4681740411d4bdafad6ac'
[11:18:15 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:d95fee442528: Merge commit '3e853ff7acc56b180950ab39e7282f1b938c8784'
[11:18:16 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:07094e5e4054: Merge commit '78491fe8cfed83d2aead95dafe26f0d3f999e961'
[11:18:17 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:2ab827389bc1: Merge commit '33dc1913ab7aaefc991b3e665d1d0b5d0b088672'
[11:18:18 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:db395bef7f9a: Merge commit '80ea66112817c719b476de8f7d8d3b325f4c7dd1'
[11:21:43 CEST] <michaelni> \o/
[11:22:48 CEST] <nevcairiel> now i only need j-b to remove the broken branch, and I think i have most figured out how to handle this
[11:26:33 CEST] <iive> congratulations :)
[11:30:19 CEST] <harisk92> good morning 
[11:30:23 CEST] <harisk92> i need your help
[11:30:26 CEST] <harisk92> did anyone tried to install ffmpeg with qsv on debian jessie
[11:36:27 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:582d98aed97a: tests/fate/mp3: Fix fate-mp3-float-extra_overread on mips-qemu
[11:48:21 CEST] <j-b> nevcairiel: I'm in a week-end, in the middle of nowhere, but I can do all you want on the server, tomorrow
[11:48:50 CEST] <nevcairiel> no worries, its not exactly a big problem, just some weird branch sitting there harming noone
[11:51:43 CEST] <ubitux> nevcairiel: nice :)
[11:51:51 CEST] <ubitux> thank you for doing this
[12:19:11 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Luca Barbato 07master:2cd841c07765: hevc: Use a proper enum for the SEI values
[12:19:12 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:2e290d61147a: Merge commit '2cd841c0776535be56e4db67485fdd9509c9b9f4'
[12:25:53 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Luca Barbato 07master:043f46f5741e: hevc: Use switch instead of if-nests in decode_nal_sei_message
[12:25:54 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:90ec89a629b3: Merge commit '043f46f5741e1a5caedf55d788e1a72aae3b7605'
[12:29:45 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Luca Barbato 07master:979cb55103fa: hevc: Split the sei parsing in 3 functions
[12:29:46 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:b3e5d59537cb: Merge commit '979cb55103fa8e8274806e496901203742c686d1'
[12:41:17 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Henrik Gramner 07master:ebaf571aca2d: x86: dct: Disable dct32_float_sse on x86-64
[12:41:18 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Alexandra Hájková 07master:fdbc544d2917: asfdec: prevent the memory leak while reading metadata
[12:41:19 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Anton Khirnov 07master:14e558024642: opusdec: properly handle mismatching configurations in multichannel streams
[12:41:20 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:1ce298dac51c: Merge commit 'ebaf571aca2dd6ce3caeeeec4210a3fccd47e7db'
[12:41:21 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:190e52112339: Merge commit 'fdbc544d29176ba69d67dd879df4696f0a19052e'
[12:41:22 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:9f56aceaec5c: Merge commit '14e558024642638085ae2bbeffc6087612e6a3f9'
[12:57:22 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:8b11ce713750: avcodec/libutvideoenc: Remove coded_frame usage
[13:04:24 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Hendrik Leppkes 07master:a95210bfbdf6: MAINTAINERS: Add myself as maintainer for dxva2 and Windows/MSVC
[13:19:35 CEST] <ubitux> durandal_1707: are you going to push allyuv?
[13:19:55 CEST] <ubitux> i'd like to use for testing selectivecolor (and maybe more)
[13:19:59 CEST] <ubitux> +it
[13:20:39 CEST] <ubitux> allrgb would be nice though
[13:20:51 CEST] <ubitux> if you aren't working on it already
[13:34:48 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Paul B Mahol 07master:ff8f6691ce81: avfilter/f_drawgraph: stop making foreground color transparent
[13:45:21 CEST] <wm4> I love how that HN thread for the recent annoucement repeats the old inflammatory shit the internet has been spreading
[13:45:42 CEST] <Shiz> stop reading hn
[13:46:32 CEST] <wm4> I just looked at that thread ubitux linked (or actually, the thread that was linked from there)
[13:47:05 CEST] <ubitux> well that was pretty much to be expected
[13:50:24 CEST] <Shiz> man wm4 now you tricked me
[13:50:26 CEST] <Shiz> >Both code bases are open source. I'm wondering if there is so much turmoil here, why doesn't someone (like VLC) take the best features from both projects and create their own library?
[13:50:40 CEST] <Shiz> why am i raeding this :(
[13:50:46 CEST] <wm4> lol
[13:52:26 CEST] <JEEB> my condolences
[13:54:17 CEST] <durandal_1707> ubitux: the colors are not perfectly positioned, do you care about it?
[13:54:30 CEST] <ubitux> what do you mean?
[13:55:16 CEST] <ubitux> durandal_1707: anyway, i'll probably use/write a dumb allrgb
[13:55:47 CEST] <ubitux> no smart sorting whatsoever, just for testing purpose
[13:56:07 CEST] <durandal_1707> if you zoom you will see its not nicely going from one color to another
[13:57:06 CEST] <ubitux> okay... what would you use this filter for?
[13:57:26 CEST] <ubitux> like, being pretty doesn't really help testing
[13:57:39 CEST] <ubitux> or maybe for human visual testing?
[14:02:09 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Paul B Mahol 07master:ff6c92447d85: avfilter/vf_deband: add mising slice thread flag
[14:05:37 CEST] <durandal_1707> well if it is continuous it makes easier testing, but I can push it as is and 'fix' it later
[14:36:31 CEST] <BBB> nevcairiel: the reason for ARCH_X86_64 == 0 is x264 (x264 doesnt have ARCH_X86_32, so x264-copied bits use ARCH_X86_64 == 0, and that gets copied aorund)
[14:36:43 CEST] <BBB> ARCH_X86_32 is a ffmpeg/libav'ism
[14:36:49 CEST] <cone-206> ffmpeg 03Paul B Mahol 07master:49a14a7616d8: avfilter: add allyuv source filter
[14:53:55 CEST] <BBB> Shiz: yesterday there was a comment isnt daala a superset of vp8 and vp9?
[14:53:59 CEST] <BBB> or something like that
[14:54:01 CEST] <BBB> very fun
[14:54:07 CEST] <Shiz> lol
[14:54:19 CEST] <nevcairiel> BBB: i'm confused
[14:54:27 CEST] <nevcairiel> what are we talking about :D
[14:54:40 CEST] <wm4> HN comments
[14:55:04 CEST] <wm4> <BBB> Isn't VP8/9 a subset of Daala? Perhaps I'm confused.
[14:55:21 CEST] <BBB> oh wait crap wrong hendrik, sorry
[14:55:25 CEST] <ubitux> durandal_1707: thx
[14:55:26 CEST] <BBB> nevcairiel: shouldve been gramner
[14:55:30 CEST] <BBB> wasnt reading correctly
[14:55:46 CEST] <nevcairiel> ah
[14:55:47 CEST] <ubitux> wm4: i really wonder how they come up with something like this if it's not just pure trolling
[14:55:51 CEST] <BBB> Gramner: the reason for ARCH_X86_64 == 0 is x264 (x264 doesnt have ARCH_X86_32, so x264-copied bits use ARCH_X86_64 == 0, and that gets copied aorund); ARCH_X86_32 is a ffmpeg/libav'ism (sorry poked wrong person initially)
[14:56:04 CEST] <BBB> nevcairiel: apologies
[14:56:07 CEST] <wm4> ubitux: they're like mini-compns
[14:56:08 CEST] <Gramner> yeah, I kinda figured that out
[14:56:15 CEST] <nevcairiel> BBB: no worries
[15:00:46 CEST] <Gramner> btw, would you prefer if I submitted patches to ffmpeg-devel as well or are you fine with merging? so far i just posted stuff to libav-devel because michaelni was awesome at merging stuff and I was lazy (sorry) [i have no intention of getting involved with any "politics" regarding the two projects]
[15:07:37 CEST] <Compn> Gramner : good question. some devs submit to both lists to get more reviews and then send updated patches to both lists
[15:08:11 CEST] <Compn> just depends how much work you want to do
[15:08:57 CEST] <iive> i'd say it is better if you do the merge, since you should know your code better :)
[15:10:03 CEST] <Compn> ubitux / wm4 : you guys may do well to understand that people may not communicate perfectly, and that misunderstandings may seem like trolls but if you take the time to explain things or ask for clarification, there will be less problems.
[15:11:25 CEST] <Compn> BBB : also i blame there being 4 or 5 different names for each new codec. h265 , hevc or vp3/theora or h264/mpeg4avc/x264 (yes x264 derp).
[15:12:11 CEST] <Compn> even though i said 4-5 my examples only list 2...
[15:12:35 CEST] <Shiz> theora isn't vp3, just vp3-based
[15:12:57 CEST] <RiCON> <+wm4> <BBB> Isn't VP8/9 a subset of Daala? Perhaps I'm confused. <- reddit, actually
[15:13:34 CEST] <Compn> Shiz : i stand corrected.
[15:15:38 CEST] <BBB> Gramner: whatever is easiest for you, at this point
[15:15:50 CEST] <BBB> Gramner: so if you like it this way, its fine with me
[15:16:00 CEST] <BBB> (thats just my opinion, others may disagree)
[15:16:37 CEST] <BBB> I thought theora was vp3 in bitstream terms?
[15:16:42 CEST] <BBB> I mean, at least the core bitstream
[15:16:46 CEST] <BBB> the header is different perhaps
[15:16:56 CEST] <Gramner> iive: I guess that's true, but then people from both MLs might waste time pointing out the same issue. I could wait for stuff to get accepted on one project, and after that sumbit it to the other? of course, then some other issue might be found and a fix has to be submitted to the first project.
[15:17:03 CEST] <BBB> (they wanted hw bw compat)
[15:18:08 CEST] <iive> Gramner: that's why you work in parallel :)
[15:18:37 CEST] <Shiz> BBB: fair point, i don't think it deviates from vp3 that much
[15:19:09 CEST] <BBB> vp8 or vp9 have only marginal relationship to each other, in terms of bitstream
[15:19:15 CEST] <BBB> the codebase is clearly derived
[15:19:26 CEST] <BBB> but the bitstream is & only very marginally similar
[15:19:46 CEST] <BBB> things like nearmv/nearestmv/zeromv/newmv still exist, but other than that, pretty much everything changed
[15:19:59 CEST] <BBB> and daala vs vpN, well, no similarity whatsoever
[15:20:46 CEST] <Gramner> how about I just buy everyone enough beer at VDD to make you drunk enough to make out with each other instead?
[15:23:33 CEST] <beastd> Gramner: It is never perfect :(  I think it is fine to submit to both lists and wait for review. You will have to judge yourself about resubmissions and such...
[15:24:11 CEST] <durandal_1707> comments for atadenoise?
[15:25:15 CEST] <beastd> Gramner: VDD is a really nice event. I attended 2-times myself. But I am on par with ubitux that it is kind of a bad "solution" for "re-union" of FFmpeg and Libav...
[15:26:15 CEST] <BBB> Gramner: beer sounds good, ty
[15:26:38 CEST] <BBB> (dont I buy you beer? youve done tons of work on x86inc.asm in the past years, were just using it :) )
[15:27:46 CEST] <Gramner> beastd: maybe that's true, but I don't really know enough of the backstory (and tbh I'm not really interested in looking at the past either) to comment on that
[15:28:05 CEST] <beastd> BBB, Gramner: Please share the beers at VDD however you want -- I never meant to interfere with that ;-)
[15:29:10 CEST] <BBB> I guess we all get beer
[15:29:38 CEST] <Gramner> all I know is that I met some devs last year at VDD and they all seemed like decent folks
[15:30:49 CEST] <beastd> Gramner: Understood. Please be sure to continue conrtibuting in whatever way seems best for you. I do not think that situation is as grim as it looks. We'll see...
[15:31:10 CEST] <Shiz> my personal opinion would be that discussions about any potential re-unions should be focused on online/irc/ml discussions, for a number of reasons
[15:31:26 CEST] <Shiz> 1) clearly not every ffmpeg/libav developer can make it to VDD, including some of the 'main' people
[15:31:38 CEST] <Shiz> 2) real-life discussions have different dynamics than online ones, which may be detrimental to some people and the points they are able to make, no matter how valid (we ARE nerds here, after all...)
[15:31:51 CEST] <Shiz> 3) real-life discussions lack the important feature of being loggable easily
[15:32:52 CEST] <beastd> Shiz: ack. well said.
[15:33:03 CEST] <Shiz> that is not to say discussion can't take place at VDD, but it shouldn't be the 'main venue' for it
[15:33:09 CEST] <Shiz> in my opinion
[15:34:16 CEST] <Nightrose> mediation experience: if you want to make any significant progress it needs to be f2f - just my 2ct
[15:36:39 CEST] <Gramner> I do believe it's easier to have discussions online with people you have met IRL though, so even if VDD isn't _the_ solution you could always just go there and have good time while focusing on other stuff (or maybe you all know each other already? i have no clue)
[15:36:54 CEST] <Compn> wedesoft 1 day ago 
[15:36:54 CEST] <Compn> To whoever contributed to it: the swscale library (colorspace conversions) was really helpful during my PhD work.
[15:37:04 CEST] <Compn> ^ michaelni , someone found swscale useful :)
[15:39:13 CEST] <beastd> Nightrose: You can discuss face to face of course, but results need to be written down and sent to the projects communication backbone like fffmpeg-devel ml for public scrutiny if they matter in anyway. if it is about laying aside personal differences that is sth different.
[15:39:27 CEST] <Nightrose> sure
[15:39:45 CEST] <Compn> heh
[15:39:53 CEST] <Compn> Nightrose was there at vdd during the libav ffmpeg meeting
[15:40:03 CEST] <wm4> Shiz: I'm also a bit suspicious against the IRL meeting, but why not try it?
[15:40:16 CEST] <Compn> the meeting was transcribed too
[15:40:47 CEST] <Compn> at least one of them.
[15:40:48 CEST] <ubitux> nothing will be achieved at irl meeting, because many ffmpeg developers won't be present so any negociation will be meaningless
[15:41:15 CEST] <ubitux> in the best situation, some devs will agree, and when going back online, you'll get some opposition
[15:41:34 CEST] <ubitux> (and the ppl who are exclusively online will be accused of fucking up everything)
[15:41:43 CEST] <Compn> just want to work on code, dont want to organize anything...
[15:42:39 CEST] <ubitux> if the negociation ends up with "alright, now we need to review everything in ffmpeg", how do you think it's going to be accepted for those who werent present?
[15:42:42 CEST] <Shiz> wm4: sure, i even said that's not to say discussion can't take place there
[15:42:50 CEST] <Shiz> but i don't think any final decisions should be taken there
[15:42:52 CEST] <Shiz> :P
[15:42:55 CEST] <wm4> even online, "some" people will barge in later and destroy all discussion that has been had earlier
[15:43:12 CEST] <wm4> because these "some" people were mysteriously not available during the online discussion
[15:43:19 CEST] <ubitux> wm4: except you can setup some vote system over several days or whatever online
[15:43:40 CEST] <ubitux> and it's much harder to do that in a small time window in a single place on earth
[15:44:02 CEST] <ubitux> so yeah it's not perfect online, but real life is not going to be any better in that regard
[15:44:52 CEST] <Shiz> i think real life certainly can help, partially also due the different conversation dynamics involved
[15:44:57 CEST] <Nightrose> except that voting on something will not solve your issues
[15:44:59 CEST] <Shiz> so i wouldn't write it off as useless
[15:45:04 CEST] <Shiz> just not the end-all be-all
[15:45:19 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : no reason to argue about it, wont change anything :P
[15:45:56 CEST] <Compn> ubitux : i almost wrote something in reply to unification email on ffmpeg-devel , but i dont think it will help so i rm'd it.
[15:46:08 CEST] <Compn> i'll try to post something later , think up some ideas.
[15:46:12 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: we don't know what the issues are, no one on libav side said what they want yet; almost every wishes has been granted in ffmpeg over the years
[15:46:38 CEST] <Nightrose> ubitux: exactly. that's why a vote won't help you if you don't even know what to vote on ;-)
[15:46:59 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: but my guess is that they're going to push development methods incompatible with ffmpeg ones (from what i could tell on irc)
[15:47:10 CEST] <wm4> ubitux: they want their git tree
[15:47:20 CEST] <ubitux> Nightrose: and don't you think it would be simpler for everyone if they expressed their needs in a few sentences?
[15:47:37 CEST] <ubitux> wm4: ah? well that won't work then
[15:47:52 CEST] <ubitux> no need for a meeting
[15:48:05 CEST] <ubitux> end of the story, lets not waste everyone's time :)
[15:48:37 CEST] <Compn> j-b : whos tree should we use? pick tree.
[15:49:13 CEST] <ubitux> btw, i don't think i will attend VDD if they don't make the wish list
[15:49:34 CEST] <Compn> you could attend, but skip any meetings, as i will be doing
[15:49:34 CEST] <Shiz> q: has anyone actually approached them yet to ASK what they want
[15:49:41 CEST] <ubitux> Shiz: yes
[15:50:38 CEST] <wm4> ubitux: I hope you're joking
[15:50:59 CEST] <ubitux> who knows
[15:51:28 CEST] <ubitux> Shiz: we got a few disconcerted answers on irc, but no one has written anything yet
[15:51:28 CEST] <Compn> gotta bbl. please dont all ragequit the project. its still kinda fun working on it
[15:52:42 CEST] <Shiz> what about preparing an "official" (as official as a statement from ffmpeg can get) post to their ML?
[15:52:51 CEST] <Shiz> you may get a more coherent answer is a nontransient medium
[15:52:59 CEST] <Shiz> in a*
[15:53:18 CEST] <ubitux> i'm unsure about forwarding the thread i started the other day
[15:53:27 CEST] <ubitux> might make them angry for whatever reason
[15:53:44 CEST] <ubitux> that is, http://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2015-August/176556.html
[15:53:53 CEST] <ubitux> they were requested to do something similar to this
[15:53:55 CEST] <Compn> we should have j-b ask libav about a statement
[15:54:03 CEST] <ubitux> but i'm starting to doubt they will
[15:54:13 CEST] <ubitux> Compn: he did
[15:54:15 CEST] <Shiz> putting a list of demands in their lap may come across as intimidating, yes
[15:54:20 CEST] <Compn> oh good then
[15:58:11 CEST] Action: Compn afk
[16:00:19 CEST] <durandal_1707> there is lack of manpower on both sides
[16:00:32 CEST] <ubitux> yeah, definitely
[16:02:41 CEST] <ubitux> lack of manpower, but keep duplicating stuff anyway ;)
[17:07:27 CEST] <kierank> Well put
[17:31:32 CEST] <jamrial> nevcairiel: is that new branch in one of the merges intended?
[17:33:37 CEST] <ricotz> hello, could someone take a look at libshine.c failure https://paste.debian.net/plain/288432 --  https://paste.debian.net/plain/288433
[17:36:39 CEST] <ubitux> jamrial: the branch was a mistake apparently, but it can't be removed without the help of videolan admins
[17:38:39 CEST] <jamrial> ah ok
[17:42:20 CEST] <ubitux> ricotz: lgtm, looks like a chunk forgotten in e36db49b
[17:42:31 CEST] <ubitux> and it seems to be the only instance
[17:42:48 CEST] <ubitux> ricotz: can you send a patch?
[17:45:20 CEST] <BBB> ubitux: I will be there
[17:45:45 CEST] <BBB> ubitux: wont you?
[17:45:50 CEST] <BBB> ubitux: jb is paying :D
[17:46:06 CEST] <ubitux> not a money problem; i live in paris you know :p
[17:46:48 CEST] <BBB> rly
[17:46:54 CEST] <BBB> I thought you were belgian
[17:47:02 CEST] Action: BBB feels stupid
[17:47:13 CEST] <ubitux> sorry to disappoint you
[17:47:22 CEST] <ubitux> :)
[17:47:30 CEST] <BBB> ok
[17:47:31 CEST] <BBB> so
[17:47:36 CEST] <BBB> we have a conference in your homewotn
[17:47:39 CEST] <BBB> *town
[17:47:42 CEST] <BBB> and youre not coming?
[17:47:54 CEST] <BBB> Im flying over all the way from americanistan, you know
[17:49:11 CEST] <ubitux> i might come, but i hate these meetings anyway
[17:55:16 CEST] <wm4> does anyone have an idea what could break HLS after timestamps go over ~24 hours?
[18:01:44 CEST] <BBB> wm4: Im going to say timestamp overflow
[18:01:46 CEST] <BBB> but I dont know
[18:02:06 CEST] <BBB> ubitux: I think we all hate meetings to some extend, but it does help to talk face to face sometimes, even if its just to say hi and have a beer
[18:02:11 CEST] <BBB> (you drink beer right?)
[18:02:55 CEST] <ubitux> i don't drink alcohol
[18:03:33 CEST] <ubitux> i also don't eat anymore btw (joylent master race)
[18:05:05 CEST] <BBB> um
[18:05:06 CEST] <BBB> ok
[18:05:20 CEST] <BBB> so how do I bribe you?
[18:05:30 CEST] <BBB> the normal candidates dont seem to work for you
[18:06:30 CEST] <ubitux> i don't know how to bribe myself anymore
[18:07:26 CEST] <ubitux> anyway, see if you can make libav communicate a little before the event
[18:07:28 CEST] <ubitux> that might help.
[18:07:41 CEST] <michaelni> Gramner, as the one doing merges in the past, i definitly preferred patches on ffmpeg-dev and no extra merge work but iam not the one doing the merges anymore. Still patches developed on ffmpeg, tested on ffmpeg are better then if they are developed on a branch that forked 4+years ago, theres some risk that code merged has new issues after merging
[18:10:24 CEST] <Gramner> michaelni: got it, i'll try to
[18:10:36 CEST] <Gramner> post stuff on ffmpeg-devel
[18:10:57 CEST] <michaelni> thanks!
[18:12:20 CEST] <ricotz> ubitux, https://paste.debian.net/plain/288437
[18:22:43 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Paul B Mahol 07master:5b69fb783e9d: avfilter: add atadenoise
[18:49:29 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Paul B Mahol 07master:3fe01eca21d5: avcodec/xfaceenc: remove coded_frame usage
[19:03:15 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Rico Tzschichholz 07master:a0044beccac8: libshine: Fix faulty ff_alloc_packet2 usage
[19:03:23 CEST] <ubitux> ricotz: thx
[19:33:40 CEST] <BBB> ubitux: Im not in active communication with any of them, sadly
[20:31:29 CEST] <kierank> ubitux: 
[20:31:30 CEST] <kierank> 5:03 PM <"ubitux> i also don't eat anymore btw (joylent master race)
[20:31:32 CEST] <kierank> is it any good?
[20:32:13 CEST] <nevcairiel> i tried it, and i couldnt do it
[20:32:33 CEST] <nevcairiel> even with a proper mixer, i couldnt get it to stop tasting like dust in my mouth
[20:32:40 CEST] <ubitux> i didn't really like it at the beginning, but now i can't do without it, and i enjoy it pretty much
[20:32:54 CEST] <kierank> I struggled with zero noodles but I've been eating them for a year
[20:33:22 CEST] <kierank> so i wonder if this stuff is any good
[20:33:41 CEST] <kierank> my friend made is own joylent
[20:33:41 CEST] <ubitux> it definitely doesn't taste good in the beginning
[20:33:44 CEST] <kierank> buying random ingredients
[20:33:59 CEST] <ubitux> but well, after a few weeks it's pretty much ok
[20:34:46 CEST] Action: jamrial wonders what's wrong with actual food that people need to come up with these alternatives
[20:35:08 CEST] <kierank> takes too long to cook
[20:35:14 CEST] <ubitux> and you need to think about it
[20:35:41 CEST] <nevcairiel> i mostly order in these days because i'm too lazy to cook, and i have like 3 things i order because i cba to think about new things =p
[20:35:54 CEST] <kierank> nevcairiel: lol
[20:35:55 CEST] <nevcairiel> so i liked the general idea, but i just couldnt do it
[20:35:58 CEST] <kierank> I cba to cook new things
[20:36:00 CEST] <kierank> I do know how to cook
[20:36:21 CEST] <nevcairiel> someone suggested i should leave it in the fridge over night to get rid of the dust-y taste
[20:36:29 CEST] <nevcairiel> but i never bothered after the first try :d
[20:37:25 CEST] <kierank> how long does joylent take to arrive?
[20:37:56 CEST] <nevcairiel> usually pretty fast
[20:37:57 CEST] <ubitux> very variable; they don't have banana anymore currently so it might take a while if you take a mix with some
[20:38:02 CEST] <jamrial> well, i'm not a fan of cooking, but even if it's something quick i very much prefer eating proper meals :p
[20:38:09 CEST] <kierank> oh I bought one of each
[20:38:13 CEST] <kierank> really looking forward to it
[20:38:30 CEST] <ubitux> nevcairiel: cold can taste somehow better, but it's way more thick
[20:38:46 CEST] <thresh> what about your family?  did they also convert?
[20:38:54 CEST] <ubitux> honestly i don't mind the "dust" anymore
[20:39:04 CEST] <ubitux> i usually drink the meal in about 3 minutes
[20:47:56 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:4a8ec0218e0a: avcodec/avuienc: Use ff_alloc_packet2()
[20:47:57 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:107026ea8188: avcodec/aliaspixenc: Use ff_alloc_packet2()
[21:38:30 CEST] <BBB> jamrial: Im wondering the same thing, I love a good steak with baked potatoes or similar stuff
[21:38:35 CEST] <BBB> yummy
[21:38:55 CEST] <BBB> or even something simple like a nice sandwitch
[21:39:12 CEST] <BBB> theres whole newspaper articles on making good, yummy sandwitches if you want to do it at home
[21:45:14 CEST] <jamrial> when i have time i cook an elaborate meal, but if i'm in a hurry a burger, salad or something quick like that does the trick
[21:45:48 CEST] <jamrial> and when i'm lazy i just order a pizza :p
[21:47:29 CEST] <Compn> protein shakes yuck :P
[21:47:40 CEST] <Compn> stick to eating hemp...
[21:49:39 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:06f265989194: avcodec/v210enc: Use ff_alloc_packet2()
[21:49:40 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:7e9cd4e10008: avcodec/libwebpenc: Use ff_alloc_packet2()
[22:03:58 CEST] <iive> soilent is more than protein shake. it contains all nutrients.
[22:05:45 CEST] <iive> i'm quite sure that ubitux wouldn't mind having a nice meal, if he is not the one who have to make it.
[22:06:50 CEST] <wm4> if you want to know his motivations, why don't you ask him
[22:11:22 CEST] <iive> what make you think that?
[22:12:26 CEST] <wm4> instead of loudly guessing his motivations
[22:16:12 CEST] <iive> he already pretty much explained it already. no need to ask him.
[22:16:59 CEST] <iive> <kierank> takes too long to cook \n <ubitux> and you need to think about it
[22:19:58 CEST] <kierank> Compn: i've just bought some
[22:20:04 CEST] <kierank> it's a great idea
[22:20:12 CEST] <kierank> I've been waiting for soylent for ages
[22:22:31 CEST] <iive> just don't take the green one.
[22:23:25 CEST] <iive> ;)
[22:25:21 CEST] <iive> tbh, i've heard about it, but I had no idea it had reached Europe.
[22:27:33 CEST] <Compn> kierank : hemp? yes hemp is great...
[22:27:37 CEST] <Compn> oh joylent, ok then
[22:27:50 CEST] <kierank> ubitux may have changed my friends life
[22:27:54 CEST] <kierank> he has been waiting years for this moment
[22:28:09 CEST] <Compn> http://www.joylent.eu/products/joylent-vegan has hemp in it
[22:28:43 CEST] <Compn> the text makes it sound like the regular joylent has meat in it
[22:33:59 CEST] <Compn> http://joylent.s3.amazonaws.com/how_to_use/english.pdf
[22:34:03 CEST] <Compn> guh
[22:34:48 CEST] <nevcairiel> regular soylent has fish in it
[22:36:38 CEST] <Compn> ah
[22:36:41 CEST] <nevcairiel> fish oil to be precise for fat
[22:36:54 CEST] <Compn> wheres the antioxidents though?
[22:37:55 CEST] <nevcairiel> plenty vitamin C and E which serve that purpose
[22:39:34 CEST] <iive> so, joylent and soylent are different brands?
[22:40:01 CEST] <Compn> different name of same brand possibly for usa/uk audience ?
[22:40:11 CEST] <nevcairiel> joylent is for the EU
[22:40:18 CEST] <iive> that's what i want to know.
[22:40:20 CEST] <nevcairiel> had to split it for reasons
[22:40:34 CEST] <nevcairiel> probably importing such food into the EU would be problematic
[22:40:40 CEST] <nevcairiel> so they renamed and produce it here
[22:40:42 CEST] <iive> so... it is subdevision of soylent?
[22:40:57 CEST] <iive> not competition?
[22:41:18 CEST] <iive> i see that joylent delivers all over the world.
[22:42:04 CEST] <nevcairiel> its not real competition as soylent is still only in the US i think, and joylent focus on everything else, but i dont think its directly run by the same people
[23:12:34 CEST] <cone-962> ffmpeg 03Michael Niedermayer 07master:0508657f42ed: avcodec/cngenc: Use ff_alloc_packet2()
[23:13:02 CEST] <ubitux> nevcairiel: i think soylent ended up dropping it
[23:13:24 CEST] <ubitux> joylent has some original stuff anyway, it's kind of different (and cheaper)
[23:13:47 CEST] <ubitux> they're looking into doing solid food btw (less preparation, yay)
[23:18:55 CEST] <atomnuker> food that gets you everything you'll need/might need all in one, huh?
[23:19:08 CEST] <atomnuker> this reminds me of the soup they had on the ship in the first matrix movie
[23:19:30 CEST] <nevcairiel> It looks like that too :p
[23:19:48 CEST] <ubitux> and it's not tasty either (at least at the beginning)
[23:19:56 CEST] <nevcairiel> Solid may be interesting
[23:20:00 CEST] <atomnuker> I don't think I'm ready to join such a future yet though
[23:52:05 CEST] <nevcairiel> man this qsv decoder is so many levels of f'ed up
[23:52:13 CEST] <nevcairiel> dont try seeking with it, it wont be pleasant
[23:52:32 CEST] <Daemon404> i have a rule of thumb
[23:52:44 CEST] <Daemon404> if the commit messages doesnt understand tenses, it's prob bad
[23:52:47 CEST] <nevcairiel> you know what the stupid thing is
[23:52:53 CEST] <Daemon404> stuff like "added thing decoder"
[23:52:56 CEST] <Daemon404> or "adding thign decoder"
[23:53:00 CEST] <nevcairiel> the one which was not merged from libav would've actually worked =p
[23:53:09 CEST] <wm4> hurrr
[23:53:15 CEST] <Daemon404> lmao
[23:53:24 CEST] <j-b> of course
[23:53:30 CEST] <j-b> I said so many times
[23:53:33 CEST] <nevcairiel> but we have some random corporate drone sending broken decoders :D
[23:53:40 CEST] <j-b> the MPEG-2 one is sooo wrong it's not funny
[23:53:49 CEST] <nevcairiel> they are all equally wrong
[23:53:51 CEST] <wm4> whatever happened to code quality
[23:53:56 CEST] <Daemon404> ... hw decoding mpeg-2?
[23:53:58 CEST] <nevcairiel> dunno
[23:54:00 CEST] <nevcairiel> i tried to review them
[23:54:03 CEST] <nevcairiel> but it was ignored
[23:54:07 CEST] <wm4> awesome
[23:54:15 CEST] <nevcairiel> the guy sending the patches isnt very smart
[23:54:18 CEST] <j-b> I know people don't like Lu_zero and Anton, but come on, their decoder is twice longer. It's not because they like pain...
[23:54:19 CEST] <nevcairiel> or very bad at english
[23:54:21 CEST] <nevcairiel> one of those
[23:54:39 CEST] <j-b> the guy does not even flush anything...
[23:54:43 CEST] <wm4> does the Libav have the usleep calls?
[23:54:52 CEST] <kierank> some intel bugs iirc
[23:54:55 CEST] <nevcairiel> wm4: thats normal for hardware decoders
[23:55:01 CEST] <nevcairiel> dxva has that too
[23:55:06 CEST] <nevcairiel> sometimes hardware is busy and you gotta wait
[23:55:17 CEST] <wm4> mmal, vdpau, vaapi don't
[23:55:26 CEST] <nevcairiel> maybe they do it internally then
[23:55:29 CEST] <wm4> mmal for one is an async decoder, but has an event-based approach
[23:55:48 CEST] <nevcairiel> for dxva it depends on the driver
[23:56:01 CEST] <nevcairiel> only ever seen nvidia return the "eagain" error code
[23:56:05 CEST] <nevcairiel> others just seem to block
[23:56:18 CEST] <j-b> wm4: I did not see the sleep on the mpeg2 one.
[23:56:40 CEST] <j-b> but, seriously, on the mpeg2 one, there are 20 lines of code.
[23:56:47 CEST] <j-b> that can't be right.
[23:57:01 CEST] <nevcairiel> apparently thats how all decoders should look now since the magic happens in shared code
[23:57:42 CEST] <j-b> without doing anything in flush ?
[23:58:38 CEST] <nevcairiel> thats another issue entirely
[23:58:42 CEST] <nevcairiel> it could call a central flush
[23:59:00 CEST] <j-b> magically?
[23:59:24 CEST] <michaelni> please report the issues and problems you raise here to Ivan Uskov
[23:59:38 CEST] <nevcairiel> we should just use the libav decoder, it actually works
[23:59:40 CEST] <Daemon404> history has shown that doesn't work, fyi
[23:59:43 CEST] <j-b> Ivan is an incompetent coder who's paid by the hour
[23:59:50 CEST] <Daemon404> [22:54] <+nevcairiel> i tried to review them
[23:59:50 CEST] <Daemon404> [22:54] <+nevcairiel> but it was ignored
[23:59:57 CEST] <wm4> damn Daemon404 was faster
[00:00:00 CEST] --- Mon Aug  3 2015

More information about the Ffmpeg-devel-irc mailing list