[Ffmpeg-devel] Dr DivX OSS out with ffmpeg inside

Rich Felker dalias
Sat Dec 3 18:36:07 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 10:42:58AM +0800, Colin Ward wrote:

> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >

>   [Snip]
>
> >* dont bother to submit VC++ "fixes" they will be very likely rejected
>
>   What's with the anti-VC++ vibe on this list?  Surely you would want
> FFMPEG to be able to be compiled and run on as many systes as possible?

This is an invalid argument. Any system with MSVC also has mingw and
cygwin.

>  Many people want to use VC++ and if the "fix" is small and harmless
> and enables these people to do that, then why not?

It's not harmless. VC++ is not remotely C-compliant. It's basically a
C++ compiler that treats C as a subset of C++ (which it's not) and
which only (partly?) conforms to an old version of the C standard.

>   OTOH, if the fix is large and nasty then I can understand not wanting
> to apply it, but for small ones I don't see the problem.

Like Michael said why don't you RTFLA (list archives) and see that it
is this latter case before posting rude emails telling others what
they should think? This topic has been discussed to death over and
over already.

Rich