[Ffmpeg-devel] (L)GPLed yuv2rgb code

Trent Piepho xyzzy
Sat Dec 23 03:27:00 CET 2006

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Michel Lespinasse wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:05:27PM +0100, Luca Abeni wrote:
> > If so, I'll add the LGPL license header (with "Copyright (C) 2001-2006
> > Michael Niedermayer" and "Copyright (C) 2006 Luca Abeni").
>
> FYI, the code you attached (quoted below) looks very much like stuff
> I wrote around 1998/1999 under a GPL licence and which can be currently\
> found on the videolan svn server at
> https://trac.videolan.org/libmpeg2/browser/trunk/mpeg2dec-livid/libvo/yuv2rgb.c?rev=70

The code you linked to looks to be nearly identical to this code here:
http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&q=show:spitw_BsS18:XktR4Rb56GI:ZMtqWWQie4Y&sa=N&ct=rd&cs_p=http://libmpeg2.sourceforge.net/files/mpeg2dec-0.1.7.tar.gz&cs_f=mpeg2dec-0.1.7/libvo/yuv2rgb.c

It's from mpeg2dec-0.1.7 and claims copyright 1999-2000 Aaron Holtzman.  Of
course that doesn't necessarily mean Aaron Holtzman wrote it.  I've found
my code with someone else's copyright on it when they didn't write a single
line.  But this does appear to be the oldest version of the code I could
find, which is used all over the place.  I haven't found a version of
mpeg2dec older than 0.1.7 to see just how "new" the "new yuv2rgb code"
mentioned in the changelog for 0.1.7 really is.  Sometimes people think
changing a variable name makes something new.