[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: JPEG-LS codec

Justin Ruggles jruggle
Thu Feb 2 02:09:59 CET 2006

Hello,

> what FOURCC we should choose for JPEG-LS? I don't know any standard one and
> leaving 'MJPG' will cease non-lavc decoders to work on such filed. Maybe 'JPLS' FOURCC will do?

The SMPG JPEG-LS encoder uses .jls as the file extension for images, so
maybe 'MJLS'?

I have a question though.  Does JPEG-LS have its own SOF marker?  If so,
shouldn't any JPEG/MJPEG decoder check this before determining if it can
decode the image?  Or does the 'MJPG' fourcc always imply baseline JPEG?

-Justin