[Ffmpeg-devel] [ bug ] converting png to dv gives solid black

Erik Slagter erik
Wed Mar 15 14:07:17 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 22:17 -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:

> 	Check this out: I once had this techno-elitist colleague who bragged
> about his giant, widescreen TV and its amazing image quality. Imagine
> how hard we laughed when the even bigger elitist visited his place,
> watched a DVD on the TV and realized that the super-duper TV was
> misconfigured and displaying a sub-optimal image! It was down-converting
> and then up-converting or something like that.

Very true. Ever since I bought a tad bigger TV set, the (imho) bad
reception from my cable company has been bothering me. I am aware of the
limits of PAL, but this was really awful, plain noise in the picture. So
I replaced all cabling in my house with pro stuff and nothing changed.
Then I filed a complaint with the cable company and they sent a
technician. This guy connected it's gear and concluded in 30 seconds
that the signal was strong enough. He did not do any verification on the
actual _quality_ of the signal! We're talking AM here :-(. The I showed
him the picture and he said "well, that is just common with large TV
set's, It can't get any better than that". Apparently most people simply
accept this, otherwise the cable company couldn't have gone away with
it. Anyway, I was completely fed up, told the cable company to keep
their junk and bought a satellite dish. Now I do have a perfect picture
after all. I guess more people should make this step ;-)