[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Video Filter Layer (was: Re: Cropping / Paddingpatches)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg
Wed Mar 15 16:31:23 CET 2006

Hi,

On 3/15/06, Luca Abeni <lucabe72 at email.it> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 14:24 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[..]
> > so maybe its better to implement it without a vf layer first and work
> > on vf after that
> Ok... So, here is my new re-revised plan:
> 1) adjust ffmpeg cropping and padding code so that swscaler integration
> is easier (the patches I posted some days ago should be fine, I think...
> I'll fix the bug found by Baptiste and repost them). This will be done
> without libavfilter.
> 2) test external swscaler. In the meanwhile, I'll study the filter
> discussions happened on the G2 mailing list, to better understand how
> the filter layer should be organized
> 3) integrate swscaler. In the meanwhile, start a discussion on the
> mailing list for designing the new filter layer
> 4) figure out the license problem
> 5) if the swscaler license situation is acceptable, remove the "old"
> ffmpeg rescaling routines. Otherwise, the two implementation will
> coexist in ffmpeg
> 6) At this point, the discussion about the new filter layer should be
> completed, and we should have a design (am I being to optimistic?)
> 7) Implement the video filter layer, and move all the cropping, padding,
> and rescaling code to it.

That's maybe a dumb question, but is there any reason why MPlayer's
filters are the one being chosen for merging, not the ones from VLC or
xine? AFAIK, the licences are all the same, but what about the way
they are designed?

Guillaume
--
Reinventing the wheel certainly is annoying, but as long as all other
wheels are square...

Reimar D?ffinger