[Ffmpeg-devel] MPEGTS muxer problem [on behalf of lucabe72]

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Fri Nov 3 13:23:09 CET 2006

Hello,

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 16:43 +0800, QuickTime wrote:
> Dear :
> It seems that the mpeg ts file gernerated by the latest FFmpeg SVN
> failes to support by VLC
> (although MPlayer can decode the ts gerneated by ffmpeg)
>
> Dear Luca:
> I searched "mpeg ts muxer " by Google, and found you ever post a
> thread on this topic in ffmpeg mailist two year ago
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2004-February/033304.html
> I have the same problem as yours
> I need create a ts file by ffmpeg, and it should be recognized by VLC player
> Could you give me any sugestions?
Well, that was a lot of time ago... Anyway:
- I think the PCR problem has been fixed, and the PCR in the video
stream is good enough for playing the TS

- I seem to remember that the stuffing has been fixed too (or is never
used, I do not remember)

- I suspect the audio and video streams are not properly interleaved,
and this causes buffer overflows / underflows, and probably the VLC
problems too.
I once posted a patch that reduced this "interleaving problem" by
splitting the audio PESs, but that was clearly a hack... The MPEG PS
muxer in mpeg.c properly interleaves the audio and video streams, so
maybe some code from it can be reused in mpegtsenc.c to implement a
proper solution

- If I remember well, the DTS is never set in the video PESs (only the
PTS is set). I think setting the DTS in video streams is not optional
(but I might be wrong... It's a long time since I last looked at these
isssues), so this must be fixed... Maybe properly setting the DTS can
help in solving the VLC issues.

> BTW: I sent the same mail two days ago, but it seemed that you ignored
> me,so I try again!
Sorry for the delay, but I am currently quite busy... Before replying, I
wanted to search for my old notes and check them because I do not
remember all the details

				Luca