[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Mon Nov 13 15:39:54 CET 2006

Hello,
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:35:42PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:39:19AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> >>What are the plans for the SIMD parts?
> >
> >Leave them as GPL.
>
> From the first day there was talk of swscale, I was afraid it would end
> like this. With the removal of img_resample and that licensing, the LGPL
> version becomes a second-class implementation.

It does not change the current situation at all, so I don't see a reason
to be much annoyed over it.

> There is not much I can do, but I dont have to like it.

There is a lot you can do, like writing LGPL SIMD or trying to convince
the authors to allow relicensing as LGPL. But yes, the LPGL version
lacks quite some features, when there is the decision between getting a
feature under the GPL or not at all, I have no problem at all with the
former. Those who have should speak up in time, and towards the
authors, you can't expect others to argue for something that is not
their goal...
And just to state my opinion: decoders and demuxers by all means should
be LGPL'd, everything else I wouldn't mind if it was GPL-only.

Greetings,
Reimar D?ffinger