[Ffmpeg-devel] moving non-SIMD parts of libswscale to LGPL

Diego Biurrun diego
Wed Nov 15 18:35:33 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:54:14AM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >>If someone's goal is to force a mutation of the license to GPL, that is
> >>not acceptable.
> >
> >Acceptable by whom exactly?
>
> What would the decision process be? Michael only? Committers only?
> Contributors only? Unanimity, majority?

Answer my question.

> >>I would. The moral contract for ffmpeg is LGPL, and should remain so.
> >
> >This "moral contract" is something you have just made up out of thin
> >air.
>
> You dont make up a moral contract, there is always one, even if
> implicit.

Sure, but that this moral contract consists of using the LGPL (and
keeping it forever) is something that you have just made up out of thin
air.

> >The authors of the code are free to decide the licensing without
> >any regard to whether the outcome pleases you or not.
>
> Authorship being attributed how?

As if authorship were hard to attribute ..

Quick reminder: You are not among the authors.

And this is what irks me so much here.  Your contributions to FFmpeg are
minor at best, yet you constantly fret about the directions this project
is taking (or not) and try to influence it.

Diego