[Ffmpeg-devel] I'm giving up

Cyril Russo cyril.russo
Tue Nov 21 13:44:10 CET 2006

Ok guys,

 I'm fed up. Here the patch attached (in case Thunderbird messes it up).
There is no tab inside as both
hexdump -C mjpeg.c | grep  "09 "
hexdump -C mjpeg.c | grep  " 09"
give no output.

What could have been a 5 mn process is becoming a 3 days issue for what
? 50 lines of code.

 > Can you do a benchmark also ? More info here:

I don't know if it's me. In the previous code, s->progressive was tested
3 times in an iteration while it doesn't change inside the loop at all.
Then there are 2 possible cases :
- The compiler is smart enough to move the test out the loop, it is
going to duplicate the code with 2 paths (but the path are not the
exactly same length, so I really doubt the compiler will do it), in that
case there will be twice as much code as currently.
- The compiler let the processor predict the branch, which result in
much more code anyway (because the branches are still here), and it is
not faster than the patched function.

My first patch did this, creating a new function with all tests removed.
It was 34 lines long.
The attached patch use function pointers which are set at declaration
and add 1 line to current mjpeg.c file.

Anyway, I give up. I'm sorry if I'm too blue or too red for you. My
initial purpose was to give back since I'm using ffmpeg, and so far,
I've followed the lines to contribute back correctly.
My contribution was very, very easy to check/deny/modify. In fact,
you've spent more time criticizing the shape of the sun than understand
why it shines.
I'm fed up having to justify myself everytime, instead of explaining
what I've done.

Good luck with your code.

--
Cyril RUSSO