[Ffmpeg-devel] make test fails

Dana Hudes dhudes
Tue Oct 3 17:11:20 CEST 2006

Stefan Gehrer wrote:
> Dana Hudes wrote:
>>
>> I see the text you mention. I also think you're really rude. I'm not
>> a clueless newbie to the world. I'm a UNIX admin of 20 years
>> experience, an experienced C programmer since 1983 and have written
>> lots and lots of varied code for money and fun. I have a temper and I
>> can get impatient but really, I try to google things and to see what
>> is going on but ffmpeg doesn't do the stable vs. development release
>> or indeed any sort of organized release. Whether or not I want the
>> hottest new features, I have to take the latest SVN version.  I see
>> no point in trying to integrate ffmpeg with anything or try to
>> contribute anything until I get a good build that passes its tests.
>> Now, it may well be that the code is good and the test is broken. I'm
>> not sufficiently familiar with the code or the guts of the algorithms
>> to say. I probably have to figure out what the test is doing and see
>> if there's some other tool on this or another platform to which i
>> have access that can do the same. That would validate the input data
>> at least.
>>
>> Just because you make some contribution to the project does not give
>> you license to abuse people who try to submit complete bug reports. I
>> mean really! I don't just come and say "it doesn't work please help".
>> I give as much information as I can about my environment and what i
>> am doing so that one has a possibility to reproduce the bug. Have YOU
>> tried the regression tests on the latest SVN version? If so, please
>> so state and show your environment and what you did to configure. If
>> not, then stop spewing abuse at me and run the test yourself using
>> either your options or mine.
>>

>> It is probably a good idea to consider putting up either bugzilla or
>> mantis or using the sourceforge bug tracking system.
>> That can be set to go to whoever or a list, as appropriate.  The
>> DBD::Pg module team set their bug reports to go to their developer
>> mailing list. Larger projects have separate mailing lists for that.
>
> please let me clarify:
> I only did a tiny contribution to this project and have nothing to say
> whatsoever. I never did run the regression tests in my life, I don't
> even know how they work, and I am really glad you are submitting a bug
> report about this. I just jumped in to make clear that there is
> another mailing list to report to but it seems I took this information
> from the wrong page. I went through my previous mails again but could
> not find any rudeness or abuse in it. If there is, put it down to the
> fact that I am not a native speaker of the English language. But I
> really think you are overreacting a tad.

How could you make a contribution to the project and NOT run the
regression tests against your own code?
As to how they work, i'm not sure  I understand your remark. they are
run by "make test" (the usual such tag). there is also "make fulltest"
(also a common naming practice). If you mean you don't understand what
the regression tests do, that detail I am still sorting out myself.
The question remains whether the tests are broken or the code is broken.
I can work to come up with a build that doesn't include the code that
breaks the test but it requires more knowledge of the project than I
have at this time to understand whether code or test is broken.
Documentation of the tests would be very helpful.