[Ffmpeg-devel] Bindings benchmark on visibility patch

Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò flameeyes
Fri Sep 22 23:20:49 CEST 2006

On Friday 22 September 2006 23:03, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> well use a short video with 1 frame, and if xine is too slow try some more
> primitive player (ffmpeg or ffplay maybe)
I'll try to find it, but with a single frame most of the functions are
unlikely to get called anyway. The problem is that with lazy bindings you get
the binding time spread across the execution, and with dlopened plugins
you're not hitting all the bindings when you're playing a single file.

> anyway if the speed gain is unmeassureable then id say that "speed gain"
> should be droped from the arguments
It's load speed gain that interests me, to be honest. I can see the difference
through callgrind's output, it's about a 2% gain on the dlopen() subcall.
It's not much when compared to the snail slow loadtime of xine's framework,
but it will likely be (I know there are other libraries that causes this
problem, for once libmp4v2, and that their effect is probably larger, but
FFmpeg is also summed in all this, and I considered it an easy task to start
with).

To put it plainly, the gain is there, it's not huge, it's not microscopic,
it's just difficult to benchmark properly.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Petten? - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE