[Ffmpeg-devel] confusion in regard to gif demuxer/decoder

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Apr 23 12:07:12 CEST 2007

Hi

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:38:00AM +0200, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> mark cox wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am trying to learn ffmpeg image api by studying the gif demuxer and
> > decoder. The problem i am having is that quite a bit of the code is similar
> > between the demuxer and decoder. It is very confusing. Are there any demuxer
> > & decoder that are good for studying the separation of demux/decode that i
> > wold be better off studying?
>
> MJPEG as codec with AVI as container, maybe?

asv1 or raw or another simple codec might be a better choice than mjpeg

> > Also, is the gif situaton typical? or could it
> > be simplified?
>
> GIF is *A*typical, in that you can make movies either as a sequence of
> 1-image GIF files, using the image2 (ie sequence) container, in which
> case the whole GIF file is handled by the codec.
>
> Or you can have animated GIF files, in which case the individual frames
> are handled by the codec but the 'glue' is handled by the format.
> Confusion is exacerbated by the codec and muxer being both called GIF...

and to make the gif case worse it is a mixture of historic old image1 code
mixed with half ported image2 code
gif is the worst choice of all codecs/containers ...

1. write clean, simple and working code
2. high level optimizations
3. low level optimizations