[FFmpeg-devel] "error, non monotone timestamps 45000 >= 45000" in ffserver

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Wed Aug 22 14:16:05 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> also note that in ffplay similar code has a special case for rtsp
> (i dunno the rtsp code well enough to say what that special
> case is good for ...)

As promised, I had a look at such code (you mean the code using
"use_play", right?). I do not really understand why it is needed: it
seems that it's used to perform the av_seek_frame() before
av_find_stream_info() if the input is RTSP/RTP, but I do not understand why.

BTW, I did some tests with the "-ss" parameter, and it seems that
seeking with rtsp input is broken (the "-ss" parameter accepts a
parameter in seconds for all the input formats except rtsp... For rtsp
it seems that the parameter is in tenth of seconds. Also, there is an
offset in the seek - probably due to the RTP startup latency).

Anyway, I tried to remove that code (applying the attached patch), and
it seems that ffplay's behaviour did not change (I tried with and
without "-ss" and I could not see any change). I performed my
experiments by using the live555 media server (that is known to be a
good and standard-compliant streaming server) and some mpeg videos
(mpeg1 video + mp2 audio in mpeg container) and mp3 files.
Maybe removing that rtsp special case breaks something in some different
case, but I've not been able to find it.

				Luca