[Ffmpeg-devel] Re: Can not play a YUV file using ffplay

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Feb 12 19:38:14 CET 2007

Hi

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 05:30:10PM +0100, Michel Bardiaux wrote:
[...]
> >by the way, I have compiled the whole ffmpeg project using the fixed
> >ffplay.c in SVN source tree, but still I couldn't play the yuv file. errors
> >are as follows:
> >
> >picture size invalid (0x0)
> >[rawvideo at 0x8376db0]Could not find codec parameters( Video: rawvideo,
> >yuv420p)
> >test.yuv: could not find codec parameters
> >
> >the comman line I use is :   ./ffplay -f rawvideo -x 176 -y 144 test.yuv
> >
> >have you ever tried the rawvideo file?
> >
> Think about it. What is a yuv file? Rawvideo, without any adornment.
> Hence, no way for ffplay to guess the image size. And 'ffplay -h' would
> show you that there is no way to give the info to ffplay either, -x
> being the *displayed* width. So, you cant play a raw yuv with ffplay.
> But you could use ffmpeg to mux the yuv in an avi.

ffplay -f rawvideo -x 352 -y 288 foreman_cif
works here so id say the original poster does not use latest svn

In a rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face.
-- Diogenes of Sinope