[Ffmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code 2007

Harikrishnan Varma hvarma
Fri Feb 16 18:28:48 CET 2007

Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> *More* profiles. There are already 4 and very useful they are. What is
> glaringly missing is a DIVX target that would work on most set-top
> readers.

avcodec
Video: Xvid could be used to generate the video stream as long as it is
within certification limits (Home Theater or High Definition
certification). In drffmpeg, we have used divx.dll (video for windows
driver) on MS Windows and the QuickTime encoder component on OS X to
generate the video stream.

Audio:
* MPEG-1 Layer 3 and MPEG-2 Layer 3. Both CBR & ABR are supported.
* AC-3
* MP3 Surround (In drffmpeg we use a dll supplied by Thomson)

avformat
A .divx file is the same as a .avi file with a few new riff chunks added
for supporting DivX subtitles, chapter points, menus.

It would be trivial to add support for DivX subtitles since it is based
on DVD subtitle format (RLE encoding) with timestamps indicated using
ASCII strings in the header part of the subtitle packet. This has been
added to drffmpeg but not enabled by default.

Profiles: we have a set in Dr.DivX (which uses drffmpeg - a fork of
ffmpeg) which allows users to target Mobile, qMobile, Home Theater, High
Definition and 1080HD targets.

Some of these changes in drffmpeg and Dr.DivX could be useful to ffmpeg
in case you devote a SoC project for adding DivX support.

Regards,
 Harikrishnaa