[Ffmpeg-devel] decoding received H.264 stream

Ryan Martell rdm4
Fri Feb 16 20:44:59 CET 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:

> Engin Kurutepe wrote:
>> Dearl all,
>>
>> I am streaming h.264 video over RTSP/RTP using the live media
>> library. I
>> have been trying for a week to decode the received NAL units using
>> avcodec_decode_video() to no avail because I have not been able to
>> properly initialize AVFormatContext and AVCodecContext instances.
>>
>> What is the proper way to make live media and ffmpeg work
>> together? does
>> anybody have example code using RTSP (not necessarily live media)
>> with
>> ffmpeg to get me started?
>
> Check vlc or gst they have a framer for h264 that are surely working
> with streams from the darwinstreamingserver.
>
> The is code present as rtp_h264 in libavformat but I don't know if it
> has been tested.

The rtp_h264 stuff works with Darwin Streaming server.  There are
some audio sync issues if you are decoding a mono stream, but it's
more of a FAAD2 issue than an ffmpeg issue (faad upconverts, which
screws up the timestamps).

-Ryan

PS: What's the live media library?