[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg "developers conference"

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Jun 20 13:45:06 CEST 2007

Hi

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 11:53:48AM +0200, Reimar Doeffinger wrote:
> Hello,
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 09:56:36AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > > What prevents us from moving to git currently? I can migrate swscale to
> > > ffmpeg quite easly if that was the problem, the recipe is simple:
> > >
> > > import mplayer to git, import ffmpeg to git.
> > >
> > > in mplayer make a branch and remove everything that isn't libswscale,
> > > prune to clean up and commit this change.
> > >
> > > in ffmpeg make a branch and git pull the libswscale-only branch from the
> > > mplayer repo.
> > >
> > > Commit the change.
> > >
> > > That's all, the story is preserved and ffmpeg has a coherent tree.
> >
> > Sounds like a hack to me.  As I said before, I can produce a Subversion
> > repository with libswscale (and not the rest of MPlayer) properly
> > interleaved in it.  Did I mention already that Subversion has
> > good administration tools?
>
> Would it e possible for now to just keep svn but make the git-svn clone
> writeable for developers?

IMHO that would be a big step in the correct direction ...

but what would happen with things pushed to git which svn doesnt support?
like branches, or proper author names (which have no correspoding entry in
SVNs lists)

There will always be a question for which you do not know the correct awnser.