[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Split libavformat

Luca Abeni lucabe72
Tue Nov 20 08:37:09 CET 2007

Hi all,

as promised, here is my attempt at splitting libavformat.
The attached patches create 2 more libraries: libavdevice (mainly
containing formats for getting audio and video from grabbing
devices, but it might contain more things in the future) and
libavnet (containing all the networking-related code).

After the split, libavformat should not contain any OS-dependent
code (unless I did some error).

How to split libavformat:
1) checkout ffmpeg from svn
2) run the "create_libavgrab.sh" script inside the ffmpeg directory
3) apply "create_libavgrab.diff"
At this point, you should be able to compile ffmpeg with an usable
libavdevice
4) apply "isolate_os_support.diff"
This is just a "preparation patch", which includes os_support.h only
when needed (instead of including it in avformat.h).
5) run "create_libavnet.sh"
6) apply create_libavnet.diff
Done...
(of course, all the "mv" in the scripts should really be "svn mv")

I am not sure about the changes to the configuration system: they seem
to work, but I really do not know if I did things in the right way.
Also, I had some problems when creating the license headers for the new
files... I tried to do the most obvious thing, but I do not claim it's
the correct one :)
Also, there might be some c&p errors...

Well, have a look and let me know

			Thanks,