[FFmpeg-devel] [Hardware Accelerator for Video and Audio]

Benjamin Zores ben
Wed Feb 20 19:47:28 CET 2008

kenye ye a ?crit :
>>From :  Andreas Setterlind (a.k.a. Gamester17)
>> What video decoding processes exactly will it be able to accelerate
> effectively?
>> - Motion compensation (mocomp)?
>> - Inverse discrete cosine transform (iDCT)?
>> - Inverse modified discrete cosine transform (iMDCT)?
>> - In-loop deblocking filter?
>> - Intra-frame prediction?
>> - Inverse quantization (IQ)?
>> - Variable-Length Decoding (VLD)?
>> - Spatial-temporal deinterlacing?
>> - Bitstream processing (CAVLC and/or CABAC)?
>
> We will provide all features you mentioned.
> if you need more, please tell us and discuss with us.
> Right now,  we have already define the following features.
> These features will be helpful to decode and encode  MPEGI MPEGII MPEGIV
> H.264, H.263+ ,  VC1, RM9.
>
>  1. Transform/inverse Transform
>  2. VLD/VLC
>  3. Q/IQ
>  4. Compensation : Intra-Pred / Motion Compensation
>  5.  Estimation
>  6. Deblocking Filter
>  7. CABAC
>  8. Bitstream processing : such as start code finding
>  9. Deinterlacing
>
> as to audio,  we don't define it right now. you can provide your opinions
> such as iMDCT. That would be great.

Just for clarification ...
Will this be a PCIe card ? Will there be PCI versions too ?
Does it provide video output ?

In other words, will it be used as an hardware accelerator, hence you
send it some stream, it decodes it and give it back to you and then
you're in charge of providing the result to the video card ?
Or will it also handle the video display ?

I'd personnally be much more interested in the first approach.
That's also the approach taken by VaAPI IIRC.

Ben