[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] possible API for opening external demuxer references

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 27 19:58:24 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 07:27:09PM +0100, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 02:38:08PM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> currently just a flag probably is good enough, but in case someone is
> >> interested in taking things further (maybe even as a way to implement
> >> general playlist support in lavf, including rules like "internet
> >> playlists can only reference internet files and vice versa"?) here is
> >> a first idea of a possible API.
> >> Probably it makes little sense without actually implementing things to
> >> actually see how suitable it is, but since I already got that far...
> >
> > IMHO the demuxer should "return" the urls to the calling application
> > and not mess with them any further.
> > That is have a seperate AVStream with CODEC_ID_REFERENCE/URL/whatever
> > and put the urls in extradata.
>
> Url/Path can be stored in AVStream->filename if wanted ?
>
> How would you specify the right CODEC_ID if you cannot probe ?
> And in the case of external h264 stream, what about 'avcC' atom already
> in extradata ?
>
> IMHO this is very complicated, far more than calling url_fopen or
> open_stream.

yes :(
I need to think about this for a day or 2. Maybe the way its done
currently is the least evil ...

And for mplayer, it could override the file protocol (that is not register
the lavf file.c protocol) directly ...
It shouldnt need a callback. Iam not saying that i suggest that this be
done just that it could be ...

Observe your enemies, for they first find out your faults. -- Antisthenes