[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] drop libamr support

Diego Biurrun diego
Fri Jan 4 21:21:24 CET 2008

I've been thinking about libamr again while handling the SaffronEncoder
and I am thinking more and more that we should drop libamr support
outright.

[Reminder: libamr is copyrighted without any kind of license grant.   As
a consequence it is non-free and unredistributable.]

Whatever binaries are created with libamr support are unredistributable.
Nonetheless many are created and redistributed and I fear that most
people are not doing this on purpose but are blissfully unaware of the
consequences.

Another point is that while there is a convenient way to hook up libamr
in FFmpeg the incentive to implement a native replacement will be low.

I fear we are not doing anybody a favor with what we currently have and
that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Anybody who desperately needs AMR support can go back to a revision with
libamr support, people who wish to compare native replacements with the
reference lib can do the same.

I vote for removing libamr.

Diego