[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] replace some static with asm_visibility or so

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Jan 27 16:59:09 CET 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 05:37:24PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 16:20 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:59:28PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > > The "right" way to fix it would of course be to use proper asm
> > > arguments.
> >
> > you are quite predictable
> > i was already wondering how long it takes until you suggest we break half
> > of the asms
>
> You might want to study English a bit more. The word "break" is not an
> appropriate choice when you talk about making things work.

ROTFL

seriously, IIRC ICC which this is about cant handle the gazillion asm
arguments either, so irronically it could be that there is not a single
case, not even obscure which would work any better afterwards

and compilation with gcc 2.95, 3.0, 3.1, ... would be totally broken.
gcc 4.* and gcc svn might
with some luck be able to compile the code as long as you dont try to use
PIC on x86-32. That is, with a huge amount of luck your suggested change
would cause some poor soul a huge amount of work, break gcc 2.95 and gcc 3
support and cause some minor speedloss with bad luck it wont work at all
afterwards with any compiler

but you are free to proof me wrong :)

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato