[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Eliminate -re and make -rate_emu set by AVOption

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Jul 17 02:56:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:17:44AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Wednesday 2008-07-16 12:50:10 -0700, Baptiste Coudurier encoded:
> > Hi Luca,
[...]
> > > I also have a second (bigger) doubt: in my opinion, rate_emu should not
> > > be a field in AVCodecContext. In fact, nothing else than ffmpeg.c uses
> > > it (unless I misread some code). So, I would be tempted to remove this
> > > field from AVCodecContext, and to use the global rate_emu variable in
> > > the "if()" quoted above (so, I would change "if
> > > (ist->st->codec->rate_emu) {" in "if (rate_emu) {").
> >
> > Yes, I tend to agree with this.
>
> Indeed currently rate_emu is special since is a field which is *never*
> used by the library, but only by ffmpeg/other applications.
>
> Nonetheless I think it is quite useful to keep it as an AVCodecContext
> field, see the nice property of the patch of which I already wrote,
> -[avs]rate_emu 1 will activate the frame_rate emulation mechanism only
> for the corresponding stream, this with just one global shouldn't be
> possible. Also it doesn't appear to me such a crazy thing the idea to
> implement the rate_emu mechanism directly in the library (the decoding
> function could usleep up to when it will be time to output the decoded
> frame, as currently implemented in ffmpeg -re).
>
> What's the opinion of the maintainers?

I have none, rate_emu does not belong in there but it does no harm and
likely allows the code to be simplified through AVOption.

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
-- Aristotle