[FFmpeg-devel] Codec detailed info (continuation)

Andreas Öman andreas
Fri Jul 18 09:34:07 CEST 2008

Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> There are AVCodecContext.profile, level and coder_type to export the
> respective information.

Hm, indeed, i guess https://roundup.mplayerhq.hu/roundup/ffmpeg/issue514
should be addressed differently.

> There is no sense in inventing a new API that exports these fields as
> a string that then has to be parsed.

Well, I agree, the idea was more to be able to present various codec
information in a human readable way. I find code such as
avcodec_string() quite useful in apps instead of reinventing the same
code there.

Perhaps using it for machine parsing is not such a good idea after all.
Having said that, I still think the patch deserves to be implemented.