[FFmpeg-devel] Once again: Multithreaded H.264 decoding with ffmpeg?

Loren Merritt lorenm
Fri May 30 22:54:51 CEST 2008

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Out of curiosity: Can somebody enlighten me about the relative benefits
> of yasm vs. inline assembler?  There is no need to post at length, web
> links would be great.

No web links, since my reasons are due entirely to personal experience.

* cleaner syntax
* preprocessor directives allowed inside macros
* %rep, %assign, %xdefine, %rotate, %ifidn
* can mess with calling convention
* works with any compiler on any x86 platform

I certainly would use inline asm for code that needs to be inlined. But I
can think of only 2 such examples in all of lavc, namely cabac and
mid_pred.

--Loren Merritt