[FFmpeg-devel] asm vs __asm__: revenge of the underscores

Roman V. Shaposhnik rvs
Fri Oct 3 05:02:14 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 23:12 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Petten? wrote:
> "Roman V. Shaposhnik" <rvs at sun.com> writes:
>
> > We are working on a providing a very robust support for GNU asm
> > extensions in Sun Studio. asm vs. __asm__ is one of the issues
> > that we will be addressing.
>
> I'm not sure if it's "worth addressing", __asm__ seems a proper way to
> remember that it's _not_ a C99 feature,

Well, strictly speaking both __asm__ and asm(...) are *NOT* C99
*features*. asm(...) is a suggested extension that's all.

> as long as it works. I have seen
> there are a lot of features that Sun Studio (at least the version I have
> here) does not handle like GCC does but at least it seems to support the
> basic syntax. I guess it's just a matter of working on it...

Yep.

> > It would be really nice if for this kind of work-in-progress you
> > can try our Express builds of Sun Studio instead of Sun Studio 12:
> >    http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/downloads/express/index.jsp
> > You might be pleasantly surprised as to the level of GNUisms we
> > try to support.
>
> Oh nice I didn't know there was that, I'd love to take a look.. maybe if
> it supports some of the extensions xine uses I might finally be able to
> try building that too ;)

Great! Feel free to report bugs and corner case to me directly to me.

Thanks,
Roman.