[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo

Christian Iversen chrivers
Sat Apr 4 12:54:24 CEST 2009

M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the feat mentioned in the subject has been mentioned many times, and
>> IIRC there is also a general agreement about it.
>>
>> And I also remember that someone (Diego?) mentioned some technical
>> problems.
>>
>> Or maybe if we're going to do that step, maybe we could even afford to
>> do yet another one and migrate to git as planned.
>
> Diego once said there is a way to merge the svn repos while
> maintaining chronological history.  Alternatively, it can be merged as
> part of a transition to git.  It is not advisable to move to git and
> merge the trees at a later time since that would rewrite the entire
> history and invalidate any branches people might have.

Generally, it's possible to merge the the file sets from 2 repositories,
such that the revisions will be chronologically correct, and all files
are available in the final repos. However, I don't think it's possible
(at least easily) to merge to repositories while preserving old revision
numbers. So if you do this chronologically-and-historically-correct
merge, all the references to "fixed in rev xxxx" will be "broken".

I've spent a long time merging a number of repositories, and I'd be
happy to help if you need some tips on how to proceed.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Christian Iversen