[FFmpeg-devel] Who is against GIT now? (Was: [RFC] libswscale into the FFmpeg SVN repo)

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Mon Apr 6 08:09:37 CEST 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 05:28:40PM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
>> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>> and i belive there is no consensus on a switch to git ...
>>
>> I just wonder who is against git now...
>
> Well, to be honest I no longer see a point for git for a central,
> master repository, and there are known inconveniences (no usable
> way to modify commit messages, no simple revision number, all
> references to revisions in commit messages would break

x264 seems to be doing just fine continuing to use revision numbers
with git.  A few extra client-side scripts might be useful
(revision_number_to_git_hash and vice versa), but that's about it.

Modifying commit messages is trivial with rebase.

Dark Shikari