[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg.org clean up

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Feb 15 13:59:02 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 07:20:35PM -0800, Mike Melanson wrote:
> Robert Swain wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I realise we're in the thick of a duel, but I spent my day working on
> > ffmpeg.org. I'm fed up of it being disorganised and ugly and have been
> > for a long time. My web development skills aren't the best and I
> > haven't touched any for a couple of years or so.
> >
> > Anyway, I reorganised the pages a little into sections and
> > subsections, made all pages XHTML 1.0 Strict compliant and
> > consequently added a little CSS for centering. Would this update be
> > welcome?
>
> Thanks for working on this. I'm the last person who volunteered to
> overhaul the website. I don't envy your task when the project leader
> hasn't moved forward from 1997 in terms of web browser technology. :)

its not my fault that browser tech moved backward since then

once upon a time the web was about information, text, and pictures, diagrams
and videos related to the text. Now its java, javascript, flash, god knows
what _unrelated_ to the subject at hand, only effect it has is distract from
the content which is what the reader cares about, eating more resources
net bandwidth, cpu and memory and of course all the secholes in the bloated
trash needed to view the latest brainfarts of the industry ...

ffmpeg.org is nice, CSS if used correct is fine as well
a good test to see if a web page is well written is to use a browser just
supporting plain html, no java* no flash no CSS and running on a text only
terminal if the webpage is not useable the author is not competent at writing
html

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire