[FFmpeg-devel] RoQ colorspace inflated

Vitor Sessak vitor1001
Fri Jan 23 19:48:07 CET 2009

Mike Melanson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking at the RoQ video decoder. I noticed that the colorspace is
> set as YUV444P. Natively, RoQ video is YUV420P. I see that the decoder
> unpacks the YUV420 pixels and manually upscales the chroma samples. Is
> there a good reason for this?

Yes, actually the decoder use YUV420 to store the codebooks but does
motion compensation using full YUV444 (or in the original decoder, RGB).
  Eric Lasota (who sent the patch for this change) sent a sample that
didn't decoded with artifacts in the YUV420 colorspace, but correctly in
Quake3. See
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-June/030404.html
and for the sample http://icculus.org/~riot/redbox.bz2 .

-Vitor