[FFmpeg-devel] Fw: [foms] Paper submissions to LCA

Frank Barchard fbarchard
Fri Jul 17 01:38:34 CEST 2009

2009/7/16 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>

> Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> That's easy enough: The H.264 decoder is great; the Theora decoder
> sucks. :)
> >
> > The H.264 decoder isn't great because CoreAVC is a crapton faster,
> > primarily due to better architecture, despite the fact that ffmpeg's
> > assembly is significantly superior.

Chrome uses ffmpeg-mt, which is pretty fast.  It would be nice if that made
it into mainline.

> The Theora decoder, well, nobody gives a crap about Theora anyways.

Theora might be more interesting, being simplier, if it worked on lower end
CPU's.  Currently the ffmpeg version is about the same speed as H264.
I'm told the xiph version is faster.  Performance isnt everything.  The
architecture and extensibility of ffmpeg are appealing.
Another type of performance is IO.  Ogg is simple, but MP4 is not.  The
header being at the end of file was initially a problem because we used
progressive download, which I think Safari still does.  Frames can be out of
order and audio muxing can cause a seek per frame.  With http, seeks are a
bit expensive, and some protocols dont support seeks.  ffmpeg has an option
to not seek, but both mp4 and ogg have issues with that.  Did you know html5
says a negative rate is supposed to work?  Playing backwards is not easy or
efficient.

> I think theres enough content for a paper, but Silvia wants something in a
week and the conference is in New Zealand, neither which is good for me.