[FFmpeg-devel] Stamping videos with info per download

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Wed May 13 16:28:23 CEST 2009

steward at manscat.com wrote:
> Dear geeks and gentle people,
>
> I asked a question regarding a modification I was considering.
> I got a tirade of uninformed and unrelated opinion.

You asked about something that resembles watermarks, possibly
unintrusive ones, we could discuss about how they have shortcomings
depending on your business model or other technical issues that _may_ or
_may_not_ make them unfeasible.

As you stated by yourself you either need to use libavfilter or try to
put the data inside the bitstream, escaping it somehow.

ffmpeg by itself already support metadata reading/storing in
certain/most containers, you are more interested in something that
should be alike steganography.

As other said it could help you a bit tracking casual people but your
mileage may vary.

I'm not sure which kind of video you are providing and what degree of
result you'd like to archive, you stated that you know your userbase so
I just tell you that any information you may manage to put has a way to
be read and changed as well.

Streaming won't change much for the very same reason as well. Making
people willing to pay for the content is the _only_ way that works for
sure, by tautology ^^;

I dabbled a bit about using srtp and rtsps but for your purposes won't
work any better than providing an https with mutual auth.

lu
--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo Council Member