[FFmpeg-devel] [CHECKLIST] what is preventing us from switch to git

Alex Converse alex.converse
Sat Jun 12 22:27:49 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 3:52 PM, Reimar D?ffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:

>> > I vehemently object to that ludicrous idea.
>>
>> I agree with Mans. VLC, x264, gnome, git itself, and the linux kernel
>> all seem to get by without doing this.
>
> Yes, and we got by with ignoring horrible commit messages for quite a
> while too.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=shortlog
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=shortlog
http://git.videolan.org/?p=x264.git;a=shortlog
http://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=shortlog

I don't see an epidemic of horrible commit messages any of those places.

> I have even seen some projects subscribe to the idea "take the commit
> message for git from the email without modification no matter how bad".

Reject the patch on teh grounds of having a bad commit message, just
like we do with whitespace.

>> Git formatted patches as well as messages being written at commit time
>> not at push time, should significantly lower the ratio of bad commit
>> messages.
>
> I doubt Michael will suddenly use the shift key due to that, for example.

A capital letter at the beginning of a lone single clause sentence is
nice but not a big deal.