[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Better modularization and extension of docs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon May 3 20:52:56 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 02:27:55PM -0300, Diogo Franco wrote:

> On 05/03/2010 02:12 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > imho a mess
> > a single manpage is easier to use and to search in it
> But very long manpages are harder to read and take much longer to
> format. Also, fully opening MPlayer's HTML manpage (another monolithic
> .1) takes like 3 minutes on my slow internet. IMO having ffmpeg(1) refer
> to the categorized manpages would work better.

you arent running mplayer by piping stuff over your slow internet id
guess so if you do that for the manpage thats entirely a problem on your side.

also well split html documentation and a manpage are 2 different things
and the proper way is to use a source that can be rendered into a single
monolithic html page or several linked ones, thats for html documentation
the manpage is a single non split thing

It is not what we do, but why we do it that matters.