[FFmpeg-devel] Passing info from a protocol to a demuxer

Gavin Kinsey gkinsey
Wed Sep 15 09:54:46 CEST 2010

On 14/09/2010 16:21, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 11:35:57AM +0100, Gavin Kinsey wrote:
>
>> I could always fall back to brute force detection of the stream format
>> using just the stream data, but given that we have the information
>> available it seems a shame not to use it.
>
> is there any (real) disadvantage with that?
> it should be simpler too in code to use existing format probing

It's slightly less reliable.  If the server says it is sending format X
then I know for sure it is.  Whereas there is so little data in the
stream headers that false identifications is entirely possible.

If that's the recommendation though, I'll take another look at it and
see how reliable I can make it.