[FFmpeg-devel] Compromise

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Sat Feb 5 09:53:47 CET 2011

On 2/5/11, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 3:52 AM, Nicolas George
> <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:
>> It would be nice if each one of the commiters could take time to answer,
>> point by point, to these conditions and tell if he thinks them acceptable,
>> and if not, why.
>
> Disclaimer: I only speak for myself.

> Unacceptable. I think they do a good job. You can't scapegoat the
> roots for what happened.

There is no doubt that they have done good job managing the server.
However if that job is taken by professional they will have more free
time to work on improving FFmpeg, instead wasting valuable time with
tedious tasks.

> Reimar & Baptiste: can certainly be discussed, I'm in favour of it
> under certain conditions.
> Stefano: that has come up before, Stefano's work may benefit from
> being in a separate topic branch.
> Michael: I see too much hostility to consider that an option, for now.

> I commit patches. I'm not an expert in every field but try to be
> helpful in reviews and depend on experts in particular fields to tell
> me what's right. I take responsibility for the patches that I commit,
> and I feel responsible for making sure that FFmpeg as a project floats
> in a direction that I feel is good for the project.

> I almost always consider file maintainers more expert than me. But I
> will speak up when I think they're wrong, or stuff is unclear. I
> depend on them for their expertise, but I am co-responsible for
> patches I commit for developers, and so I want to be comfortable with
> committing whatever patch I commit.

> I don't think my goals ever changed: make FFmpeg flourish, by being
> used by people and projects (Chrome, Youtube, iPhone apps, VLC,
> you-name-it).

You are self contradicting yourself.
Later you refuse to accept old devlopers back, because they may not
have same goals. Let here you say the goals haven't changed.

You also later say that there are a lot of problems that need fixing,
yet you haven't written any of them as goal.