[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Feb 5 17:10:53 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 09:38:38AM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > * Disband the leader team of 7 and return commit and decission power to all
> > ?developers.
> >
> > Y Yes
> > N No
>
> This vote is about as ridiculous as all the previous ones combined.
> Please stop this.

> J-B invited you to Fosdem, please go there and have
> a face-to-face discussion with the team, this is totally pointless.

I could go to fosdem, i was pushing the idea around in the recent hours but
the problem is that this leader team seized power and alot of developers oppose
this, They do _NOT_ oppose more people reviewing and commiting patches.
nor any other improvment like a patch tracker or improvments to
automated testing.
So if you are willing to talk about disbanding the leader team and giving
everyone who had svn write access and videolan write access also ffmpeg.org
write access. Then i might consider it but you seem fixed on being right and
just want to convince me about that, and for that its a waste of time to come.
It would also not make the rest of the community agree the leader team is
supposed to be the gatekeeper up there. You cannot talk face to face with
the whole community and even if you did, practical problems in actual
reality would still exist. People do not like being locked out of the place
where they worked together. And its not the linux development model to throw
the most knowledgeable and experienced people out and have a group take over
the top by force. Not to mention all the secret communication and
the coup and everything that people try so hard not to awnser.
The new system shows more problems in 2 weeks than the old showed in 2 years.
And the center of these problems is the leader team not that more people
review or commit or myself not being leader.

The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision
of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet
notwithstanding go out to meet it. -- Thucydides