[FFmpeg-devel] HLS protocol support?

Martin Storsjö martin at martin.st
Sun Jul 10 21:35:16 CEST 2011

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011, Stas Oskin wrote:

> > We support it since August last year, just do "ffplay <url.m3u8>". All
> > bitrate variants are presented as different AVStreams, and you can switch
> > between which of them you receive by setting the AVStream->discard field.
>
> Thanks for reply, I probably should have been more specific. Are there plans
> to support HLS muxer (i.e. HLS segmenter), or external segmenter like
> http://code.google.com/p/httpsegmenter/ still needs to be used?

Ah, I see. The whole segmenting stuff doesn't really fit into a
libavformat muxer as a whole currently IMO, so you still need some code
outside of libavformat (either in ffmpeg.c or a separate application).
Whether that code is within the ffmpeg/libav repo is a separate question
of course.

// Martin