[FFmpeg-devel] Extractible formats

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Fri Aug 3 11:30:08 CEST 2012

Hi.

For about two years, to record programs from a DVB-T tuner, my parents have
been using a format that I designed specifically instead of just MPEG-TS.
The format uses multiple data files along with an header+index file, and for
that reason extracting part of the recording (to separate the program from
the safety margin and commercials) is very efficient. Also, the format is
very simple, which allows the extraction GUI to pick keyframes thumbnails
directly.

I have been told that some features in Matroska or MP4 would allow similar
results, but as far as I know this is still mostly vaporware, and due to the
complexity of the formats, likely to stay that way. Also, the complexity
makes all operations more fragile. Also, none of these format can embed DVB
subtitles streams (although, for Matroska, some projects seem to already
have made the trivial change).

I wonder if I should submit my format as a formal patch to FFmpeg so that
others may benefit from it?

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George