[FFmpeg-devel] relative fontconfig path

Helmut Tessarek tessarek at evermeet.cx
Fri Aug 31 04:04:44 CEST 2012

Hello,

I would like to give ffmpeg the option to use a relative fontconfig path.

Here is the background: I have a static ffmpeg binary and I don't want my
ffmpeg binary to use an absolute path for the fontconfig configuration file
(the one which was used when creating the static fontconfig library).
You could set the environment variable FONTCONFIG_PATH before starting ffmpeg,
but this is rather annyoing, especially, if you want to use this binary within
other applications.

This idea is not only interesting for static binaries, but also for portable apps.

I wrote a patch that sets the FONTCONFIG_PATH to ./fontconfig/ within ffmpeg ,
if ffmpeg was configured with the option --enable-static.

What if somebody wants the same behavior for a non static binary?
To be more flexible an additional configure option would be better.

e.g.: --relative-fontconfig-path[=path]

What do you think? Does my idea make any sense?

Cheers,
  Helmut

--
regards Helmut K. C. Tessarek