[FFmpeg-devel] animated GIFs

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 22:18:31 CET 2012

On 14/03/2012 06:21, Don Moir wrote:
>> On 3/6/12, Don Moir <donmoir at comcast.net> wrote:
>>> There doesn't seem to be any support for decoding animated GIFs and
>>> only the
>>> first image is present, or is there something else I should know
>>> about it ?

> Well, that's just because none had enough need to actually write the code.
> We have animated gif output because I wrote it back then in the first
> place.
> You can send a patch ;-)

After looking at some of the code, I could see animated gif was supported in
some places and the packet size seemed to indicate that the entire gif was
there so just confused on what the status of that was.

>>> animated png would also be useful if not yet supported.
>>>
>>> Which one apng or mng?
>
>> I think these are both up in the air at this point on what will become
>> standard and while they are being argued most are stuck with gif
>> animation.
>>
>> Firefox and Opera support apng. More than likely because of it's simple
>> nature and small code base. I don't know of any browser supporting mng.

>NetSurf can support it, but it's optional.

>François.

I see that some browsers support mng and apng via plugins while Firefox and
Opera have native support for apng.

The good things about apng, are backward compatibility with png and simpler
code base. mng is not backward compatible but is apparently more
complehensive.

Probably both need to be supported but apng would be a good start as it
appears to have somewhat better application support.