[FFmpeg-devel] Notes about avdevice

Roger Pack rogerdpack2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:50:50 CET 2012

> 2) I can set the av options to list_devices and it goes to stdout. This is
> pretty useless in a GUI app.

What I do is run ffmpeg.exe and parse the output. Crude, but works,
and yes, you can run commands from within GUI's :)

> 3) I would also need to find the various resolutions for a particular camera
> and that might be in place, I don't know but I assume if it was it would
> also goto stdout and thats useless.

See above.

Alternatively, you could enumerate the dshow devices yourself:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=651&p=2963#p2963

or copy and paste the code from dshow*.c into your own program to be
able to enumerate all the various types, etc (if you wanted to avoid
the overhead of startup time calling to ffmpeg.exe).
GL!
-roger-