[FFmpeg-devel] relative fontconfig path

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 1 00:36:32 CEST 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 04:28:12AM -0400, Helmut Tessarek wrote:
> On 31.08.12 3:43 , Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > No matter what the developers think, I believe this mailing
> > list is the only useful place to put this patch in case
> > somebody ever has the same need as you.
>
> It's not that simple. My patch gives the user no choice and sets the
> fontconfig path to a hard-coded subdirectory of the binary's location.
> In terms of usabilty this is rather unacceptable.
>
> I want an opinion of someone who decides what goes into the product and I
> would like to see, if somebody has a better idea how to solve this.
>
> Using a configure option is the best choice I've come up with so far, but this
> doesn't mean that there aren't any better ones.
>
> Before I start hacking the configure script, I need to know, if this is a
> valid idea. I'm not going to waste my time (especially since I'm not too
> familiar with configure script coding), if there is not even a chance that it
> will make it into the product.

Iam not sure i understand the problem correctly but if you statically
include some libs with ffmpeg and one of these libs doesnt find its
configuration files on some platform how is this related to ffmpeg ?
we could if that lib supports it allow to force some path via the
drawtext options or you could just fix that lib so it finds its
configuration files on all platforms that you want to support.

The real ebay dictionary, page 1
"Used only once"    - "Some unspecified defect prevented a second use"
"In good condition" - "Can be repaird by experienced expert"
"As is" - "You wouldnt want it even if you were payed for it, if you knew ..."