[FFmpeg-devel] [Patch] Prohibit Seeking on m3u8 files over http

Micah Galizia micahgalizia at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 03:26:36 CET 2013

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Micah Galizia <micahgalizia <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So, regardless of how this _should_ work (and I agree,
> > it`d be lovely if the provider just worked) is there any
> > chance of accepting any sort of workaround to the problem
> > or are you saying ffmpeg will never be able to play those
> > streams?
>
> You could probably add an option to disable seeking for
> playlist files.

So it would be up to the application (eg: xbmc) to make that decision? That
doesn't seem like a great idea either. Maybe we could just try to
reestablish the connection without seeking enabled if the first connection
(with seeking on) fails and the file type is in the greylist.  We redo
connections for different status codes already, but not typically for
rejections...

Anyway, the benefit of this approach is that it consistant for all
applications and it will not slow us down much since it only happens in
very specific situations.

I'll post a patch when I can test this approach out.
--
"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for