[FFmpeg-devel] Prioritize static builds and self-compilation over distro packages

Werner Robitza werner.robitza at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 20:22:09 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Clément Bœsch <u at pkh.me> wrote:
>> Also, the download page does not explicitly mention compiling yourself
>> as a viable option.
>
> Huh? Isn't it the first thing on that page?

Well, not explicitly. It gives you the link to the source code, but I
could imagine many users don't know they have to compile it or how to
do it (it's not that trivial without the tutorial to get all the usual
dependencies).

> Since you are on ffmpeg-devel mailing and not opening a bug on the trac,
> I'm assuming you are willing to help: so again, what about sending some
> ffmpeg-web patches? (the url for the repository holding the website
> sources is on the download page).

Sounds good, I will. Gonna check out the repository and see if we can
make the download page a little more comprehensive for non-techies.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Lou Logan <lou at lrcd.com> wrote:
> Subheaders separating the various options under the Linux section might
> help too.

Thank you both for the quick feedback.