[FFmpeg-devel] 回复: patch 1/4: libavcodec/ppc/pixblockdsp.c: fixget_pixels_altivec() and diff_pixels_altivec() for POWER LE

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Thu Oct 9 08:23:21 CEST 2014

On 8 October 2014 04:39:20 CEST, rongyan <rongyan236 at foxmail.com> wrote:
>Reimar,
>Sorry for late response.
>'HAVE_VSX' is automatically enabled only when HAVE_ALTIVECT is enabled
>and the CPU is little endian. So if the altivec implementation is
>broken in little endian, the HAVE_VSX will not be enabled.‍

That will make it work normally.
But what if someone wants to disable VSX?
For example because they want to test the performance difference, or want to debug an error in some the VSX code or because they want to use some tool that does not yet support it, or because their toolchain does not support it?
They'd suddenly end up with code that is broken instead of just slower.
I strongly believe that CPU optimizations should be possible to disable without the code being broken.
Or the other way round, broken optimizations should first be disabled and only then fixed optimizations added, not both at once.
But since these issues already exist that probably should not block the patch, but I strongly suggest adding a --disable-vsx option and testing it, for x86 these kind of options have shown themselves quite important for debugging.