[FFmpeg-devel] MKV Header: Writing duration early

Soft Works softworkz at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 12:11:12 EEST 2016

> Unfortunately the duration is not available in all cases, so writing
> it early would only work in a few special circumstances, so as a
> generic solution its not going to work.

Such circumstances are not really "special" or even rare.
Especially in most trivial cases (like mkv to mkv) there is a known duration from the source that could be used.

No doubt, that it's not available in all cases. But it could be written in those cases where it's available.

Probably the actual question is: If I would submit a patch to do this, would it have a chance to be included?