[FFmpeg-devel] IRC meeting

James Almer jamrial at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 17:26:22 CEST 2016

On 6/4/2016 7:33 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 10:30:32AM +0200, Piotr Bandurski wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The problem with this project is that it has not enough active developers. It looks like most of the devs swiched into "stand-by" mode or something
>> and sadly no new people are joining in to push development forward ;)
>
> There where new developers but i have the feeling many of them where
> treated rather hostile by the community until they decreased activity
> or disappeared examples are lukasz

I don't know enough about his case aside from i think there being
differences with other devs regarding his GSoC 2015 mentored project
for me to comment.

ganesh

There was no hostility towards him. He basically left after a handful
of patches he sent were rejected for technical reasons.

and andreas

This one i agree with you. While there were some questionable things
from his part (like accidentally breaking git head then trying to
commit a patch that until then was rejected by more than one developer
as condition to get the breakage fixed) there were also some less than
ideal and even uncalled for comments regarding his attempts to fix
issues from other projects by adding workarounds in ours.

> but maybe iam misinterpreting things, iam much more a technical guy
> than a sozial one
>
> but i have the hope that with the higherh awareness about hostilities
> we have now and less the CoC (its people not paper that makes a
> difference) this could be prevented and maybe undone in the future.

We lost Derek, a good long time developer, and Andreas, our debian
maintainer, in the span of five months more or less for the same
reasons. My hope is, at least as a first step, that those who were
related to both incidents from now on realize how damaging a single or
a chain of even mildly and unnecessarily hostile emails can be.