[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Bugs and CC

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jun 10 21:55:53 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 04:23:58PM -0300, James Almer wrote:
> On 6/10/2016 3:59 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> >> The reason I am not doing this is that it was heavily discouraged
> >> in the past.
> >
> > arent you mixing ML with trac here ?
> > CC is discouraged for ML but for trac i think it would be helpfull
> > because the alternative is for everone to check every git hash
> > that gets added to a ticket ... if one doesnt want to miss bugs
> > one caused
>
> I have never seen CC being discouraged for ML replies. They are in
> fact useful seeing that sometimes contributors unsubscribe because
> they dislike high traffic lists like this one but still maintain or
> otherwise fix code they submitted if it broke something.
> The emails may also appear as higher priority depending on your
> provider and client if you're cc'd while subscribed.

what was discouraged was CCing people who are subscribed as it causes
duplicate mails in multiple folders in many setups which many
developers did not like

> Adding someone as CC on a trac ticket would generate traffic of
> emails for every new comment made in that ticket, which can be
> annoying, so I'd say a better idea would to be email the author of
> the code in question once to inform them of the regression and a
> link to the ticket, and let them add themselves as CC if needed.

dont you want to read the comments to a regression ticket caused by
"you" anyway ?

for me getting a mail to inform me and requireing me to add myself
to the CC, at least for me thats more work as i would always want to
be CCed, it also would be more work for the person sending such
notify mails as the CC is more automatic

Modern terrorism, a quick summary: Need oil, start war with country that
has oil, kill hundread thousand in war. Let country fall into chaos,
be surprised about raise of fundamantalists. Drop more bombs, kill more
people, be surprised about them taking revenge and drop even more bombs
and strip your own citizens of their rights and freedoms. to be continued